Monday, November 17, 2008

Results of Research at Salt Lake City - 17 Nov 2008

I completed the Rugeley Land Tax Assessment and combined the two files for sorting. I acquired some information on my Lea and Wood families but nothing new on the Welsh family. I moved on to the images from the Rugeley Parish Registers and extracted the pertinent information as well as saving the images to the family files for my proofs of my 4x great grandparents which will be my next steps on my Legacy family tree file.

I moved on to the Cheatle family at Ashby de la Zouch. I had photographed the baptism of my 3x great grandmother Sarah and saved that one to her file. I then prepared a chart of all the Cheatle wills in Leicester noting that all the Cheatle families in the 1600s and early 1700s lived within 10 miles of Loughborough. Reviewed the Leicestershire Records Office webpage and I am able to purchase parish register fiche so have inquired about purchasing Loughborough, Long Whatton and Castle Donnington from the earliest to 1800. Perhaps I will hear tomorrow as to the number of fiche this will entail.

My order for the Devon fiche was received today and the fiche are now ordered. I will receive these in the next six weeks. This should give me some new thoughts on my family lines in Devon before 1750. I will also be able to add to my Pincombe one name study.

With the Cheatle family I had the confusion of three William Cheatles having children at Ashby de la Zouch in the 1790s - at least it appeared there were three. One married to a Sarah, one married to an Ann and one married to an Elizabeth. Reading the register at Salt Lake City I was able to show that there were indeed three William Cheatle and that it wasn't a matter of one wife dying and his remarrying. While I was pursuing this information I discovered a will for one of the Cheatle families at Ashby de la Zouch on The National Archives site. I downloaded this and it helped to prove that two of the lines at Ashby de la Zouch were brothers (not mine) and the third was not mentioned in the will. Could still be related but not siblings.

Tomorrow I will switch to the material that I collected for the Andover Manor, the Upper Clatford Manor and a couple of smaller manors. These documents are from the 1500s and 1600s and I think will be helpful in looking at my families there.

No comments: