Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bishops Nympton Census

My next project is the Bishops Nympton Census from 1841 to 1911. I have already completed 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 in the past few years and have begun 1881. As well I have been extracting by surname entries in 1911. I will likely miss a few as the population would have changed between 1901 and 1911 but I have already found over 100 and the population of the village remained steady around 1200 people over this time period. I have used the 1901 census and extracted the names based on the first four pages thus far - I still have another 45 pages to look at!

I am still looking at the Siderfin family and will do some charting of Sanders's genealogical charts in his book using the parish registers as I build the charts. I am not sure that he used the original registers himself but rather relied on his visual accumulation of data from Church burials in the Church and graveyard. He doesn't mention using the original registers. There is still some confusion on my line as to whether they are descended from Augustine a younger brother to Robert. Robert would have been over 60 when he married. I felt that James Sanders would have known his mother's first and second cousins and hence his attribution of my line to a brother of Augustine rather than a descendant of Augustine made sense but I must now examine this possibility looking at information now available that may not have been readily available at the time. Earlier I had concluded that Sanders was probably right but that was in my "early" days of genealogy and I was definitely a novice.

No comments: