Saturday, January 29, 2011

Beard family of St Mary Magdalen

My cousin who lives still in the Bermondsey area where St Mary Magdalen is located wrote to me by email today with a surprise. He had found a marriage of a Henry Beard and a Margaret Cope at St Mary Newington, Bermondsey in 1744. Ann Margaret Beard widow (80 years old) was buried in 1797 at St Mary Magdalen. She lived on Grange Road which is the same street that the Henry Beard/Elizabeth Hemsley family was living on when Elizabeth was buried in 1780 but Henry Beard was buried from Lion Court which is actually not very far away from Grange Road. She was a widow and her dob was approximately 1717 given her 80 years. She would be old enough to be the mother of Henry Beard married to Elizabeth Hemsley. He was approximately 54 when he was buried in 1795 making his dob 1741. One item that perplexes me about the Beard family at St Mary Magdalen is the number of families there in the early 1700s - William, Edward, John are all there with families and living near Five Foot Lane as well as closer to Long Lane. They were felt mongers and then tanners. William's son Henry was buried in 1716.

There was a Henry Beard born to Edward and Ann Beard in 1712 that is a possibility for the Henry Beard marrying Margaret Cope at St Mary Newington. But is the father of Henry Beard married to Elizabeth Hemsley "Henry"? It would be nice to determine that. Henry does not mention any sons in his will; Henry does not mention Margaret Beard and if his mother was still living I think I would have expected him to do so. I think the information is helpful in understanding the Beard family and one of my projects for the future is to extract all the Beard entries from the register at St Mary Magdalen. I looked through the years from 1740 to 1748 today extracting all the entries but no record of a Henry Beard son of Henry Beard baptized there.

There is a Henry Bard married to Elizabeth Clap at St Mary Newington in 21 Dec 1729 and sometimes this name has been confused with Beard although usually on the part of the transcriber. It is actually written as Bard in the register in this case.

The will of Henry Beard


Date: 11 Oct 2009
Document: Will
Source: The National Archives # 44
Date of document: 16 September 1795
Author: Henry Beard
Relationship: 4x great grandfather
Location: Bermondsey Street, Bermondsey, Southwark, London, England
Document quality: 18th century English, blotched but writing fairly legible

[In margin] Henry Beard
1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Henry Beard of Bermondsey Street in the parish of
3    Saint Mary Magdalen Southwark in the County of Surr[e]y
4    Tanner being weak in body but of sound and disposing
5    Mind Memory and understanding do make publish and declare
6    this my last will and Testament in manner and form
7    following first I recommend my Soul into the hands of
8    Almighty God who gave it and my body I commit to the
9    earth to be decently and frugally interred at the discretion
10    of my Executors herein after named and to all my worldly
11    Estate whatsoever and where so ever where with it may
12    please God to bless me being all personal I give devise
13    and bequeath the same after payment of my funeral
14    expences the expence of proving this my will and all
15    my just debt as herein after is mentioned (that is to say)
16    I Give unto my Dear Wife Jane Beard the use of the
17    whole of my household Goods plate linen China furniture
18    and utensils what soever which shall be in my
19    dwelling house at the time of my death To hold use
20    occupy and possess the same during her life and from
21    and immediately after her death I direct that the
22    same be disposed of by my Executors herein after
23    named for the most money that can be reasonably
24    gotten for the same and that the produce thereof be
25    equally divided between my three daughters Mary
26    Buller the wife of Christy Buller Elizabeth Beard and
27    Sarah Beard share and share alike and in case any
28    one or more of my said Children shall die in the life
29    time of my said Wife Jane Beard then I direct
30    that the money arising from such disposal of my
31    said household Goods plate linen China furniture and
32    utensils be equally divided between such of them as
33    shall be living at the time of her decease to and
34    for their own sole and separate use and benefit and
35    I also Give and bequeath unto my said Wife Jane
36    Beard and to my said daughters Mary Buller the wife
37    of Christy Buller Elizabeth Beard and Sarah Beard the sum
38    of five Guineas each for mourning and I Give unto
39    Thomas Rippon of Bermondsey new road in the parish
40    of Saint Mary Magdalen in the County of Surrey afores[ai]d
41    Gentleman and Joseph Freeman of Grange Walk in the parish
42    of Saint Mary Magdalen in the County of Surrey aforesaid
43    Leather factors my Executors herein after named the sum of
44    ten pounds each for the trouble they may have in
45    the execution of this my will and in the performing the
    [Page 2]
46    Trusts hereby in them reposed and all the rest
47    residue and remainder of my Goods Chattells Stock in
48    Trade book _olts Estate and effects of what nature or kind
49    Soever not herein before given or bequeathed I give
50    and bequeath unto the said Thomas Rippon and
51    Joseph Freeman (To hold to them the said Thomas Rippon and Joseph Freeman) their Executors Administrators and assigns
52    upon this Special Trust and confidence nevertheless (that is to say)
53    that they said Thomas Rippon and Joseph Freeman these
54    Executors or Administrators do and shall as soon as
55    convenient after my death sell and dispose thereof and
56    call in and receive all such debts sum and sums of
57    money as shall be due and owing to me at the
58    time of my decease either from my partnership made
59    with George Cader of Bermondsey Street in the parish
60    of Saint Mary Magdalen in the County of Surrey
61    aforesaid Tanner or from any other person or persons
62    whom soever and place the monies arising by such
63    sale or disposal and the monies so to be called in
64    and received upon government or other good and
65    sufficient security in their own interest and in such
66    interests as they shall think proper and also with
67    Trust that they do and shall receive the Interest
68    and Dividends thereof from time to time as the
69    same shall become payable and pay the same unto
70    my said dear Wife Jane Beard for and during the
71    term of her natural life provided she does not
72    intermarry with any other husband after my decease
73    and from and immediately after the decease to pay
74    assign transfer and convey all and every such said
74    and sums of money so to be placed out and
76    invested by the said Thomas Rippon and Joseph
77    Freeman upon Government or other good security or
78    securities unto and amongst my said daughters Mary
79    Buller the wife of Christy Buller Elizabeth Beard
80    and Sarah Beard share and share alike to and for
81    their own use and benefit and in case any or
82    other of my said daughters shall depart this life
83    in the life time of my said wife Jane Beard
84    then in Trust to pay assign transfer and receive
85    the part or share of such deceased child or
86    children unto such other or others of my said children
87    as shall be living at the time of the decease
88    of my said wife Jane Beard in equal proportion
89    but that if my said Wife Jane Beard shall marry
90    any husband in future then the Trust to pay assign
91    transfer and convey one fourth part of the money
92    So to be placed out upon Government or other
93    Securities unto my said Wife Jane Beard to and
94    for her own sole use and benefit and also In
95    Trust to pay assign transfer and convey the remaining
96    three fourth parts or shares of the said moneys
    to be placed out as aforesaid unto and among
97    [Page 3]
98    My said three daughters Mary Buller the wife of Christy
99    Buller Elizabeth Beard and Sarah Beard in equal shares
100    and proportions to and for their own use and
101    benefit and in case any or other of my said dau[ghte]rs
102    shall happen to die in the life time of my said
103    wife Jane Beard leaving issue of her or their body
104    or bodies lawfully begotten then In Trust to pay
105    assign transfer and convey the part or share of
106    such deceased child or children unto such her and their
107    issue share and share alike (if more than one)
108    when and so soon as they shall severally and respectively
109    attain their several and respective ages of twenty
110    one years and to pay and apply the Interest dividends
111    and produce thereof in the mean time for and
112    towards their respective maintenance and education
113    but in case one or more of my said daughters
114    shall happen to die without leaving issue of her or
115    their bodies lawfully begotten then the Trust to pay
116    assign transfer and convey the part of share of such
117    deceased child or children unto such other child or
118    Children as shall be living at the time of the dece[ase]
119    of my said Wife Jane Beard and I do hereby
120    empower and direct my said Trustees to pay assign
121    transfer and convey the same accordingly and I do
122    authorize and empower my said Trustees from time to
123    time as often as they shall think proper to alter and
124    change the securities or which the said residue of
125    my Estate and effects shall hereafter be placed out
126    and from time to time as often as they shall
127    think fit again to place the same upon Government
128    or such other good and sufficient security or securities
129    as they shall think proper and I do thereby
130    authorize and empower my said Trustees to apply
131    the respective part or share of any or other of my
132    said Children who shall so happen to die in the life
133    time of my said wife Jane Beard leaving
134    issue lawfully begotten for putting any or other of them
135    out to Business or any suitable employ or for setting
136    him her or them up in Business or advancing him
137    her or them respectively in any employ or otherwise
138    or his heires their  administrators ______ advancement if this would by marriage otherwise
139    ^ how soever any thing in this my will contained to
140    the contrary thereof in any wise notwithstanding
141    and it is my Will and meaning that my said
142    Trustees or other of them shall not be liable to
143    answer or make good any loss of losses that shall
144    or may happen to the aforesaid residue of my
145    Estate and effects in placing out the trust monies
146    according to the directions in this my will or in the
147    transacting any money affairs or otherwise relating to
148    or concerning the execution of the Trusts mentioned
149    in this my will unless the same shall appear to
150    happen by or through their or other of their
    [Page 4]
151    wilful neglect or default nor shall either of them my
152    said Trustees be answerable or accountable for the
153    acts deeds receipts or disbursements of the other of them
154    but each of them shall be answerable only for his
155    own separate acts deeds receipts and disbursements and
156    I do hereby direct that my said Trustees shall and
157    may pay and reimburse themselves and himself out of
158    the aforesaid residue of my Estate and effects all
159    reasonable and necessary costs charges and expences
160    what soever that they or either of them shall or
161    may bear pay be put into or sustain in or about
162    the creation of this my Will or the trusts hereby in
163    them reposed and Lastly I do hereby nominate constitute
164    and appoint my said Trustees the said Thomas Rippon
165    and Joseph Freeman Executors of this my last Will and
166    Testament and do hereby revoke and make void all former
167    and other will and wills by me at any time hereto
168    fore made and do declare this to be my last will and
169    Testament In witness whereof I the said Henry Beard
170    the Testator have to this my last Will and Testament
171    contained in three sheets of paper set my mark and
172    Seal (that is to say) to the first two sheets thereof
173    my mark and to this third and last sheet my
174    mark and Seal this sixteenth day of September in
175    the year of our Lord One thousand seven hundred
176    and ninety five [The mark] + [of Henry Beard] [Seal] Signed
177    Sealed published and declared by the said Henry Beard
178    the Testator as and for his last Will and Testament in
179    the presence of us who in his presence at his
180    request and in the presence of each other have
181    there unto subscribed our marks as witnesses [signed] James
182    Hopton [signed] Jno Rippon
183    This Will was proved at London the twenty
184    Third day of January in the year of our Lord One
185    Thousand seven hundred and ninety six before the w[or]shipful
186    Thomas Champion Crespigny Doctor of Laws Surrogate of
187    the Right Hon[oura]ble Sir William Wynne Knight also Doctor of
188    Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the Perogative Court
189    of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the oathes of Thomas
190    Rippon and Joseph Freeman the Executors named in the
191    said Will to whom Administration was Granted of all and
192    singular the Goods Chattels and Credits of the deceased
193    having been first Sworn duly to administer.

No comments: