Sunday, January 30, 2011

Horatio Henry Millin

A new cousin has been found when I transcribed the will of William Millin the husband of Elizabeth Beard (sister to my 3x great grandmother Mary Beard who was married to Christy Buller). Horatio was born 12 Oct 1810 and baptized 11 Nov 1810 at St Saviour, Bermondsey. He married Martha Wood 29 Jul 1832 at St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey and thus far I have found seven children. The names of the daughters are interesting - Martha Mary and Emma. This is the second set in this generation using the names Martha and Emma. In my Buller family there is Martha Sarah and Emma Hemsley. The Hemsley is easy as that was the maiden name of Henry Beard (father of both Elizabeth and Mary (as well as Sarah))'s first wife Elizabeth Hemsley.

Looking at the early Beard families in St Mary Magdalen parish register the wifes have names Martha, Emma, Sarah and Ann. Is there a clue here to help us find the parents of Henry Beard? Will all of this searching on collateral lines lead to information on Christy Buller who was born around 1764 but no idea yet where or to whom. In William Millin's will he is being entrusted with executorship of a large sum of money. Actually Christy is buried in 1832 when Henry Horatio is just 22 years old so Horatio would have just obtained his majority when Christy died.

I need to try to find a burial for Elizabeth Millin and did find one in 1853 at Rotherhithe St Mary, Southwark, Surrey, England. I couldn't find a will though for her or for Horatio Henry Millin.

I spent some time trying to locate Christy (Christopher perhaps) Buller's baptism and marriage to Mary Beard but no luck yet.

I trranscribed the will of William Millin which proved to be rather interesting.
1    In the Name of God Amen I
2    William Millin of Three Hammer Alley Saint Edouard's Broadway in
3    the Borough of Southwark in the County of Surr[e]y Cooper being weak in
4    body but of sound mind memory and understanding blessed be God for the
5    same do make this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following
6    that is to say I commit my body to the Earth to be decently buried at the
7    discretion of my Executor hereinafter named and touching such worldly Estate as
8    it hath pleased Almighty God in his goodness to bestow upon me gave and
9    dispose thereof as follows I give and bequeath unto my dear Wife Elizabeth Millin
10    all my household furniture linen plate china wearing apparel ready money
11    Stock in trade debts and all other my Effects which shall be found in and upon
12    my dwellinghouse shop and premises situate in three Hammor alley aforesaid
13    at the time of my decease to and for her own absolute use and benefit  she
14    my said wife paying thereout all my just debts funeral expenses and the
15    charges of proving this my Will and Where there is now standing in my
16    name in the books of the Governor and Company of the bank of England
17    the sum of two hundred and fifty pounds three per cent consolidated bank
    [Page 2]
18    annuities  I do give devise and bequeath the same unto my friend Christy
19    Buller of Three Hammer Alley aforesaid Slop Cutter Upon __ue in the first place
20    to sell assign and transfer the sum of fifty pounds part thereof unto my said dear
21    Wife to and for her own absolute use and benefit And afterwards to pay to or
22    otherwise to permit and suffer my said dear Wife to receive the Interest and
23    dividends of the residue of the residue of the said sum of two hundred and
24    fifty pounds as and where the same shall become due and payable until my
25    son John Millin by my former Wife shall attain the age of twenty one years and
26    upon his attaining that age then to sell assign and transfer the further Sum of
27    one hundred pounds other part of the said Sum of two hundred and fifty pounds
28    three percent consolidated bank annuities unto my said Son John Millin to
29    and for his own absolute use and benefit and afterwards upon further trust to
30    permit and suffer my said dear Wife to receive the Interest and dividents of the
31    remaining __er of one hundred pounds three percent consolidated bank
32    annuities as the same shall become due and payable until my second son Horatio
33    Henry Millin by my said dear Wife Elizabeth shall attain his age of twenty one years
34    and then upon trust to sell assign and transfer the said remaining sum of one
35    hundred pounds being the residue of the said Sum of two hundred and fifty pounds
36    three per cent consolidated bank annuities unto my said Son Horatio Henry to
37    and for his own absolute use and benefit but in case my said Son John Millin should
38    happen to depart this life before he ataine the age of twenty one years then my
39    mind and will is and I hereby direct that the said one hundred pounds Stock
40    given and bequeathed to him as aforesaid shall go to and belong to my said Son
41    Horatio Henry raised in case unpaid heirs John Millin and Horatio Henry Millin shall die before they attain their respective ages of twenty
42    One years then my mind and will is and thereby direct the said Christy Buller
43    to pay assign and transfer the said two hundred pounds Stock unto my said dear
44    Wife to and for own absolute use and benefit and I hereby nominate constitute
45    and appoint my said dear friend the said Christy Buller sole Executor of this my
    will and I hereby revoke all former and other wills by me at any time heretofore
46    made and declare this only to be my last Will and Testament In witness whereof I
47    the said William Millin the Testator have re this my last Will and Testament
48    contained in two sheets of paper set my hand and seal that is to say to the first
49    sheet thereof my hand and to the second and last sheet thereof my hand and seal
50    this twenty sixth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred
51    and twelve Wm Millin (seal) Signed Sealed published and declared by the within
52    named William Millin the Testator as and for his last Will and Testament in
53    the presence of use who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each
54    other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses thereof  Jn: Rippon [signed]
55    att[orne]y at Law Southwark Isaac Foster [signed]
56    Proved at London 6th May 1812 before the w[ors]hipful John Daubery Doctor of Laws
57    and Surrogate by the Oath of Christy Buller the sole Ex[ecut]or to whom admon was
58    granted having been first sworn duly to administer.

No comments: