Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pincombe - Oxford University Alumni 1500 - 1714

Continuing to look at my Pincombe family both for myself (my mother was a Pincombe) and for my one name study. I found it helpful to look at Richard Pincombe and his father John in the Alumni list for Oxford so decided I would transcribe all of the Pincombe entries for my future reference in my blog.

1.  Pincombe, John, of Devon, gent. Exeter Coll., matric 13 July, 1604, aged 18; of Poughill, Devon, bar.-at-law, Middle Temple, 1616 (as son and heir of John, of South Molton, Devon, gent.); father of Richard 1655. See Foster's Judges and Barristers.

2.  Pincombe, John, s. William, of Filleigh, Devon, pleb., p. p. New Inn Hall, matric, 15 May, 1662, aged 16, B. A. 1665.

3.  Pincombe, John s. Jo., of Bishops Nympton, Devon, pleb. Exeter Coll., matric 17 April 1668, aged 17.

4.  Pincombe, Richard (Pyncombe), arm. Wadham Coll., subscribed 7 Nov., 1655; student of Middle Temple 1656 (as son and heir of John, of Poughill, Devon, esq., deceased); buried in the Temple church, Friday night, 20 Nov., 1656. See Foster's Inns of Court Reg.

Can I place all of these individuals? Well certainly John Pincombe (1) of Poughill and his son Richard (4) have already been discussed.

John Pincombe (3) son of John Pincombe of Bishops Nympton is the grandson of Richard Pincombe father of my William Pincombe except by his second wife Francis Gill. This John Pincombe (father of alumni) was baptized 9 Dec 1604 at Bishops Nympton and his son John (3) was baptized 16 March 1650 and he is said to be 17 when he completed his studies 17 April 1668. Actually he was 18 but close enough. This is the only John Pincombe of Bishops Nympton with father John Pincombe who would fit this description.

John Pincombe (2) son of William Pincombe of Filleigh may be the son of William Pincombe and Bridget Worth who were married 16 Feb 1628 and I believe at Washfield but I am still working on that line. The wills of this family coming down from William Pincombe (son of William Pincombe and Emotte Snow and older brother to my Richard) And William Pincombe's will be the next will to transcribe. He was married to Temperance Pollard and his will was probated 28 Jun 1625.

No comments: