Saturday, November 24, 2012

Will of Anne Blake, widow of London - National Archives PROB 11/714/69, probated 23 Dec 1741

I bought this will a couple of years ago because I hoped it might answer a couple of questions about the Blake family descendant of the Andover Blake family. It did not as Anne Blake is married to Thomas Blake and they are in Shoreditch where I do not find the Blake family of Andover.

There is an Ann Blake from Kings Land Road buried 23 Dec 1741 at St Leonard Shoreditch at the age of 57 years. There is a Thomas Blake from Kings Land buried 21 Dec 1739 so likely he is the husband of Anne as he too is buried at St Leonard, Shoreditch and he was 51 years old.

There are two baptisms on Ancestry at St Mary Whitechapel Middlesex which is just 0.3 miles from Shoreditch, Middlesex. The parents are listed as Thomas and Ann and the two children Frances Blake 5 Jun 1708 and Martha 23 Jul 1706. However both of these children are girls and it is the daughter in law Martha Blake that is one of the legatees. Thomas would have been rather young (18) when Martha was born. There is always of course the possibility that this was a second marriage for Thomas and that the daughter in law refers actually to Thomas' daughter Martha as no husband is actually mentioned.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 5 Nov 2012
Source: The National Archives PROB 11/714/69
Testator: Anne Blake, widow
Place: London, England
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 17 Oct 1741, probated 23 Dec 1741
Read: Electronic copy images
Condition: scan, smudges, middle to modern English writing good, smudged but legible

[Margin]: Anne
[Margin]: Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Anne Blake Widow do make my last Will and Testament as
3    follows first desire that all my just debts Funeral Charges
4    and probat of this my Will be fully paid and discharged and
5    I desire to be buried in Shoreditch Church as near to my late
6    dear husband Thomas Blake as possible also I give all my
7    wearing apparell whatsoever to be equally divided between
8    my daughter in Law Martha Blake and my Servant Catherine
9    [surname not given] share and share alike also all the rest present residue and
10    remainder of my estate both Real and personal whatsoever
11    and wheresoever and of what nature kind of quality soever
12    I give devise and bequeath the same to Mr John Higginson
13    and the above named Martha Blake and Catherine [surname not given]
14    to be equally divided between them share and share alike and I
15    do hereby nominate constitute and appoint the said Mr John
16    Higginson sole Executor of this my Will hereby revoking all
17    former Willes by me here before made In Witnes of whereof I
18    have hereunto set my hand and Seal this Seventh day of
19    October one Thousand seven hundred and forty one Ann
20    Blake [signed] Signed sealed published and declared by the said
21    Testatrix as and for her last Will and Testament in the
22    presence of Sarah Looyet Sarah Wrayfield Bainbrig Smart
23    This Will was proved at London before the
24    Worshipfull Robert Chapman Doctor of Laws and Surrogate of
25    the Right Worshipful Colin Butterworth also doctor of Laws
26    also Master Keeper or Commissary of the prerogative Court
27    of Canterbury lawfully constituted on the Twenty third day
28    of December in the year of our Lord one Thousand Seven
29    hundred and forty one by the oath of John Higginson the
30    sole Executor named named in the said Will to whom was
31    granted administration of all and singular the Goods Chattells
32    and Credits of the said deceased being first sworn duly to
33    ademinister the same.

No comments: