Friday, October 11, 2013

Will of John Blake, Ironmonger of Langport Estover, Somerset - The National Archives PROB 11/354/149, probated 30 May 1677

The testator John Blake lived at Langport which is about 10 miles south east of Bridgwater so also in the same area as the collateral families of Admiral Robert Blake.

Edith, daughter of the testator, left her will in 1728 as Dame Edith Phelipps, widow of Montacute, Somerset. At some point I may purchase that one as it may show me how this John Blake is related to/or not to the Blake family at Ash Priors which is near to Bishops Lydeard, Halse, Aisholt where the Blake families collateral to Admiral Robert Blake lived.

From the webpage (my latin translation can not come near to doing as well as this of a caption in the margin of the will below) :  http://www.portbury-hundred.co.uk/wills.htm

Proved at London, 30th May, 1677, by Elizabeth Blake, relict and executrix, and on 16th October, 1699, administration de bonis non granted to Edith Phelipps, widow, daughter and only child of said John Blake.
[Edward Phelipps of Montacute in co. Somerset, Knight, this 22nd  day of March, 1698.
I will that Mr. Robert Blake of Aishpriors, Mr. John Browne of Chilthorne Domer and
Mr. Thomas Smith of Ilminster, all in co. Somerset be my trustees, and I give to them £5 each.
Proved 25th Oct 1699.
Edith Blake became the second wife of Edward Phelipps of Montacute, Somerset.]

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 8 Oct 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/354/149
Testator: John Blake, Ironmonger
Place: Langport Estover, Somerset, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 8 Feb 1676, probated 30 May 1677
Condition: 17th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: T[esta]m[ent]
[Margin]: Johannis Blake

1    The Eight Day of February one Thousand Six hundred Seaventy and
2    six In the name of God Amen I John Blake of Langport Estover in the
3    county of Somersett Ironmonger though sick of body yet of perfect Mind
4    and memory Thanks be to Almighty God doe make my last Will and Testam[en]t
5    in manner and forme following viz[ a vi]t First I give and bequeath my Soule
6    to my maker in and through Christ my Saviour I trust in the Resurrection
7    at the last day I desire my Body to be buryed in the Churchyard of Langport
a    Aforesaid Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Edith Blake Twenty
9    hundred Pounds To be paid or secured by my Executrix in Three moneths
10    after my decease And my Will is that if my daughter Edith doth not lyve until
11    she accomplish the age of Eighteene yeares or not married Then to remaine
12    to my Executrix during her natural life And after her death to be equally
13    divided between my brothers and sisters child or children that shall be
14    then lyving that or that part which shall be remaining Item I give unto my
15    servant Ann Blissett Fyve Pounds To be paid in Twelve Monethes after my decease
16    Item I give Twenty shillings to the use of the Church and Twenty shillings to the
17    use of the poore of Langport To be paid in Twelve Monethes after my decease My
18    will is that after all my debts and Legacies are paid and discharged I make my wife Elizabeth
19    Blake my whole and sole Executrix of all my Goods Chattells and Lands that I
20    have My Will is that after my wife Elizabeth Blake’s natural life that what
21    shee dyes possessed of may remaine to the use of my daughter Edith Blake or to
22    her child or children My Will is that Robert Blake of Ash Priers Gent
23    and William Ball of Langport yeoman and Ambrose Budd of Langport mercer
24    be Assistants to my Executrix for the use of her and my daughter In Witnes
25    whereof I have hereunto sett my hand and Seale the day and yeare abovesaid
26    Jo: Blake Sealed Signed in the presence of us Ambrose Budd The mark of
27    Barbar Crossman

No comments: