Thursday, November 21, 2013

Will of the Reverend William Blake of Crewkerne, Somerset - The National Archives PROB 11/1647/409, probated 14 Sep 1821

Again as with the past couple of wills, this William Blake is known and he is the son of William Blake whose will was blogged yesterday:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/11/will-of-reverend-william-blake-clerk-of.html

His wife Elizabeth Blake’s will was blogged earlier:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/09/will-of-elizabeth-blake-widow-of.html

The will of his brother Malachi Blake, M.D. was also blogged earlier:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/10/will-of-malachi-blake-doctor-of-physic.html

He too is in a collateral line to Admiral Robert Blake.

Relationship Chart

Admiral Robert Blake [101] is the 2nd cousin 5 times removed of Reverend William-178 Blake [607]

                                Common Ancestor

                              * Humphrey-21 Blake [1]
                                  (Cir 1499-1558)
                                    * Agnis [2]
                                 (          -1585)
                                   Married  [1]
                                        |
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    |                                                                |
                    |                                                                |
     * John-27 (the elder) Blake [3]                 * Robert-28 Blake [4]
          (Cir 1521-After 1576)                          (Cir 1523-Cir 1592)
               Johan [12]                                         Margaret Symonds [22]
            (          -1595)                                             (          -1600)
          Married Cir 1541 [4]                                            Married  [5]
                    |                                                                |
                    |                                                                |
         * William-39 Blake [18]                           * Humphry-43 Blake [25]
           (Cir 1559-Cir 1642)                                      (Cir 1563-1625)
                Anne [84]                                   Sarah Swithers formerly Williams [100]
            (          -1644)                                                  (          -1638)
              Married  [21]                                          Married 5 Oct 1597 [26]
                    |                                                                |
                    |                                                                |
          * John-59 Blake [88]                             * Admiral Robert Blake [101]
               (1597-1645)                                                 (1598-1657)
             Elizabeth [155]
              Married  [38]
                    |
                    |
          * John-86 Blake [158]
               (1629-1682)
           Mary Wilkins [276]
        Married 20 Jun 1648 [84]
                    |
                    |
   * Reverend Malachi-112 Blake [278]
               (1651-1705)
             Mary Mico [414]
             Married  [140]
                    |
                    |
        * William-140 Blake [419]
               (1688-1772)
           Jane A'Court [529]
               (1689-1769)
        Married 21 Oct 1712 [186]
                    |
                    |
   * Reverend William-161 Blake [537]
               (1730-1799)
          Hannah Downing [604]
        Married 1 Sep 1768 [212]
                    |
                    |
   * Reverend William-178 Blake [607]
               (1773-1821)

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 17 Nov 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1647/409
Testator: The Reverend William Blake
Place: Crewkerne, Somerset, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 27 Oct 1815, probated 14 Sep 1821
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: The Reverend
[Margin]: William
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 18

1    I William Blake of Crewkerne in the
2    County of Somerset do make this my last Will and Testament in
3    manner and form following that is to say I give and bequeath to my
4    Brother Malachi Blake the sum of twenty pounds to my brother
5    Downing Blake the sum of twenty pounds to my sister Mary Collins
6    the sum of twenty pounds to John Buncombe of Taunton Attorney at Law
7    the sum of ten pounds to Edward Jarman Esq[uie]r of Charterhouse Square
8    London the sum of ten pounds to Frances Tett and Caroline Tett the
9    children of the late Francis Tett of Crewkerne the sum of five pounds each
10    and to each of my servants living in my house at the time of my decease the
11    sum of five pounds I hereby give and bequeath to my dear and beloved
12    wife Elizabeth all my household Goods and furniture Books Plate linen and Wines
13    stock in my dwelling house and also whatever Cash or Cash notes I may
14    have in my dwelling hose at the time of my decease and I hereby
15    nominate and appoint my brother Malachi Blake Edward Jarman
16    esq[uie]r of Charterhouse Square London and John Buncombe attorney at law of Taunton
17    the executors of this my last will and Testament and after the payment of
18    all my just debts and funeral expences and of the several legacies which
19    I have hereinbefore given I give and bequeath unto my said executors
20    whatever I have the power to dispose of under the provisions of an
21    Indenture of Settlement made on my marriage with Hannah Jarman and
22    bearing date the third day of May 1808 whether such power is vested in me immediately and absolutely
23    or contingently on the decease of my daughter Hannah before her attainment
24    of the age of twenty one years and also all my estates and moieties of estates
25    both freehold and leasehold and all monies and securities for money and all
26    the residue of my property of every kind whatever and wherever it may be
    [Page 2]
27    In trust for the purposes hereinafter mentioned that is to say that
28    them or the survivors of them or his executors administrators and assigns shall pay or cause to be paid the rents interest and profits of the
29    same to my beloved wife Elizabeth during the term of her natural life and
30    it is my will that my executors in trust or the survivor of them or their exors admors and assigns with the consent and approbation of my said
31    wife Eliz[abe]th first had and obtained in writing and attested by two credible
32    witnesses shall have the power of selling any part of my property and of
33    vesting the same in real or Government securities for the benefit and advantage
34    of my said wife during the term of her natural life and after the decease
35    of my said wife it is my will that all my property which by this my will
36    I have bequeathed unto my executors In trust shall be duly valued and
37    divided by them the survivor of them or his exors admors or assigns without being sold if such division can be made with
38    facility amongst all my Children by my wife Eliz[abe]th share and share alike
39    when they shall respectively attain the age of twenty one years and during
40    the minority of any or either of my s[ai]d Children by my s[ai]d wife Eliz[abeth] after her
41    decease I hereby direct my said Exors In trust or the survivor of them or his exors admors and assigns to apply the annual interest
42    or profits of the portion belonging to such child or children to his her or
43    their maintenance and education during the term of his her or their
44    minority and if only one of my children by my s[ai]d wife Eliz[abe]th shall attain
45    the age of twenty one years then it is my will that all my property left to
46    my exors In trust shall vest in such child and his or her heirs for ever and
47    if all my children by my said wife Eliz[abeth] shall die before they attain the age
48    of twenty one years then it is my will that my exors in trust the survivors of them or his exors admors or assigns shall pay the
49    rents is[ue]s interest and profits of my property hereby bequeath to them for the
50    purposes and trusts herein mentioned to my sister Mary Collins during the
51    term of her natural life to and for her own sole and proper use and benefit
52    and without being liable to the payment of the debts of her husband or in any way or manner subject to his control and after her decease that they shall divide my s[ai]d property between the
53    children of my s[ai]d Sister Mary Collins share and share alike when they shall
54    respectively attain the age of twenty one years I have not mentioned the made any bequests to
55    sum of to my dear and afflicted daughter Hannah in my foregoing this my will
56    because should it please Providence to spare her life she will be amply
57    provided for in and by the settlement made on my marriage with her
58    mother my late wife Hannah should my beloved wife Eliz[abe]th at the time
59    of her decease leave any or either of our children in a state of minority
60    it is my will that the care of the education of such child or children
61    shall be left to my brother Malichi Blake whom I have in this my
62    will nominated one of my exors In trust and it is also my wish that my
63    dear wife during her life in regard to the education of our Children will
64    always consult my dear said brother and be guided by his advice To the
65    protection and guidance of the Almighty I commend my dear wife my
66    beloved children and all my friends and into his hands I commend my own
67    spirit the foregoing writing I declare to be my last Will and Testament
68    In witness whereof I have hereunto affixed my name and seal this twenty
69    seventh day of October in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and fifteen
70    Wm Blake Signed sealed and published by the Rev[eren]d Wm Blake as and
71    for his last will and Testament in the presence of us who at his request
72    and in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto
73    subscribed our names Sam[ue]l Sparks H Stembridge Josh Stembridge
74    Appeared personally Samuel Sparks of Crewkerne in the County of
75    Somerset Gentleman and being sworn maketh oath that he is one of the
76    subscribed witnesses to the last Will and Testament of the reverend William
77    Blake late of Crewkerne in the county of Somerset Clerk deceased hereunto
78    annexed beginning thus “I William Blake of Crewkerne in the County
79    of Somerset do make this my last Will and Testament” ending thus “In
80    witness whereof I have hereunto affixed my name and seal this twenty
81    seventh day of October in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and fifteen
82    and thus subscribed “Wm Blake” “ and that on now viewing and carefully
    [Page 3]
83    perusing the said Will and particularly observant the obliterations
84    and interlineations appearing therein that is to say the word “each”
85    interlined between the sixth and seventh lines the obliteration of the
86    word “Stock in my dwelling house” in the ninth line the interlineation
87    of the words “such power is vested in me” between the eighteenth and nineteenth
88    lines the interlineation of the words “or the survivor of them or his Exors
89    administrators and assigns shall” between the eighteenth and nineteenth
90    lines the interlineation of the words “in trust or the survivor of them or his
91    executors admors and assigns” between the nineteenth and twentieth lines
92    the interlineation of the words “or the survivor of them or his exors
93    admors and assgns” between the twenty third and twenty fourth lines the
94    interlineation of the name “Eliz[abe]th” between the twenty fifth and twenty
95    sixth lines the interlineation of the words “the survivor of them of his exors
96    admors and assigns” between the twenty sixth and twenty seventh lines the
97    interlineation of the words “the survivor of them or his executors admors
98    and assigns” between the thirtieth and thirty first lines the interlineation
99    of the words “without being liable to the payment of the debts of her
100    husband or in any way or manner subject to his control” between the
101    thirty second and thirty third lines the interlineation of the words
102    “made any bequest to” between the thirty third and thirty fourth lines
103    the obliteration of the words “mentioned the sum of” in the thirty fourth
104    line and the interlineation of the words “this my” between the thirty
105    fourth and thirty fifth lines and the obliteration of the words “my foregoing”
106    in the said thirty fourth line of the said Will to be respectively computed
107    from the top thereof he maketh oath and saith that the said recited
108    obliterations and interlineations were made previous to his executing
109    the said will and he lastly maketh oath and saith that he doth
110    verily and in his conscience believe the said Will to be all in the hand
111    writing of the said reverend William Blake and in every respect in the
112    same plight and condition as it was when executed by the said reverend
113    William Blake deceased in the presence of the deponent and Joseph Stembridge
114    and Henry Stembridge the other subscribed witnesses Sam[ue]l Sparks the seventh
115    day of September one thousand eight hundred and twenty one the said
116    Samuel Sparks was duly sworn to the truth of this affidavit by virtue of
117    the annexed Commission before me John Allen Comm[issione]r
118    Proved at London 14th September 1821 before the Judge by the oaths
119    of Malachi Blake Doctor of Medicine the brother Edward Jarman and
120    John Buncombe the executors to whom administration was granted
121    having been first sworn that is to say the said Malachi Blake and
122    John Buncombe by Commission and the said Edward Jarman before
123    the worshipful Samuel Rush Meyrick doctor of Laws and Surrogate
124    duly to administer

No comments: