Friday, November 22, 2013

Will of William Blake Esquire, Upton, Somerset - The National Archives PROB 11/1799/186, probated 9 May 1832

The testator William Blake was a barrister at law living at Venne in the parish of Upton, Somerset. He does not appear to have children but leaves his property to his ward Silas Wood Norman. William does have a sister Elizabeth Rawle who has predeceased him. From the Minehead marriages Elizabeth Blake married Joseph Rawle 1 Dec 1796 by Licence with witnesses W Blake and C Rawle.

In the will of Andrew Blake I did chart the Blake families at Minehead:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/09/will-of-andrew-blake-merchant-at.html

However, I am not able to fit William and Elizabeth into these families.

An interesting article from the Gazette (Page 2419) dated 20 Oct 1832 at Whitehall, London:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/18990/pages/2419/page.pdf

The King has been pleased to give and grant unto Silas Wood Norman, of Venne, in the parish of Upton, and county of Somerset, Gent. His royal licence and authority, that he may take and henceforth use the surname of Blake only, out of gratitude and affectionate regard to the memory of William Blake, late of Venne aforesaid, Esquire Barrister at Law, deceased, and that he may also bear the arms of Blake, with proper distinctions; such arms being first duly exemplified according to the laws of arms, and recorded in the Heralds’ Office, otherwise His Majesty’s said royal licence and permission to be void and of none effect. And also to order, that the said royal concession and declaration be recorded in His Majesty’s College of Arms.

Another item from the book: Robert Blake, Admiral and General at Sea, based on family and state papers by Hepworth Dixon. London: Chapman and Hall, 193 Piccadilly, 1852 as follows in a quote:

“Nor must I omit to express my grateful sense of the kindness of Silas Wood Blakc, Esq., of Venne House, Wiviliscombe, the present owner of Admiral Blake’s property at Knoll and of many other family relics, in furnishing me with various family papers, deeds, wills and genealogies.”

Was William Blake, the testator, descended from a collateral line to Admiral Robert Blake? The marriage of Joseph Rawle and Elizabeth Blake, sister to the testator, had a witness C Rawle. The will ofFrancis Blake, Merchant, Minehead probated in 1803 had as witness Christian Rawle:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/10/will-of-francis-blake-merchant-minehead.html

but Francis doesn’t mention a William Blake in his will.


Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 20 Nov 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1799/186
Testator: William Blake Esquire
Place: Upton, Somerset, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 27 Oct 1815, probated 9 May 1832
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: William
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: Esquire
[Margin]: 9

1    This is the last Will and Testament of me
2    William Blake of Upton in the County of Somerset Esquire I give devise and bequeath unto
3    Silas Wood Norman who is now living with me and whom I have brought up and maintained
4    from his Childhood All that my Messuage or Tenement Lands and hereditaments called
5    Venne with the rights royalties and appurtenances thereunto belonging now in my own occupation
6    and also all messuage or Tenement Lands and hereditaments called Higher Cooksley now in the
7    occupation of William Curdel with the rights royalties and appurtenances thereunto belonging
8    which said two several Estates are situated in the said parish of Upton To hold to him the
9    said Silas Wood Norman all my household goods and furniture plate linen and china books
10    all other articles and things now in my dwellinghouse and premises where I reside and also all
11    my out door stock Farming Stock and Implements of husbandry of what kind or sort soever To hold
12    the same to him the said Silas Wood Norman his executors administrators and assigns for his
13    and their own use and benefit All the Rest Residue and Remainder of my Messuages
14    Lands Tenements and hereditaments Goods Chattels personal and Testamentary Estate substance
15    and Effects whatsoever I do give devise and bequeath the same unto my dear sister Elizabeth
16    Rawle and I do hereby constitute her my said sister sole Executrix of this my will In
17    testimony whereof I have hereto set my hand and affixed my Seal this twenty sixth day of
18    March one thousand eight hundred and twenty eight nine W Blake Signed
19    sealed published and declared by the said William Blake as and for his last will and Testament
20    in the presence of us who at his request in his presence and also in the presence of each other
21    have hereto subscribed our names as witnesses William Cundes Elizabeth Davies
22    Criddle John Tarr
23    This is a Codicil to the last Will and Testament of me William Blake of Upton in
24    the County of Somerset Esquire First I give and devise unto The Reverend John Frederick
25    Doveton of Marksbury in the County of Somerset Clerk All that Messuage or Tenement
26    situate at Willton within the parish of Saint Decumans in the said County of Somerset and
27    now in the possession of Mr Thomas Hawkes To hold to him the said John Frederick
28    Doveton and his assigns during his natural life and from and after his decease I give and
29    devise the same unto all and every the children of the said John Frederick Doveton their
30    respective heirs and assigns as Tenants in common whereas since the making and publishing my
31    last Will and Testament bearing date on or about the twenty sixth day of March one
32    thousand eight hundred and twenty nine my sister Elizabeth Rawle whom I hereby appointed
33    my residuary Legatee and Executrix hath departed this life Now I do hereby give devise
34    and bequeath unto Silas Wood Norman now living with me all my Messuages Lands Tenements
35    and hereditaments whatsoever and wheresoever situate and all my Goods Chattels personal
36    and Testamentary Estate substance and effects of what nature kind or sort soever To hold unto
37    him the said Silas Wood Norman his heirs executors administrators and assigns And I do
38    hereby nominate constitute and appoint him the said Silas Wood Norman whole and sole
39    Executor of this my last Will and Testament In testimony whereof I have hereunto set
40    my hand and affixed my seal this twenty second day of October one thousand eight hundred and
41    thrity one W[illiam] Blake Signed sealed published and declared by the said
42    William Blake as a Codicil to his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who at his
43    request in his presence and in the presence of each other subscribe our names as witnesses
44    thereto James Waldron Jno Crewys John Tarr
45    Proved at London with a Codicil 9th May 1832 before the worshipful Joseph
46    Chillimore d[octo]r of Laws and Surrogate by the Oath Silas Wood Norman Esquire the sole
47    Executor to whom admon was granted being first sworn duly to administer

No comments: