Friday, December 20, 2013

Will of Margaret Blake, widow, New Sarum, Wiltshire - The National Archives PROB 11/1535/342, probated 24 Jul 1812

An interesting will for Margaret Blake. Her mother was Charlotte Cartwright and that would fill in why her eldest son John has the middle name Cartwright. The online tree that has Sarah Cartwright as the mother of John would then appear to be incorrect as his mother would have been Margaret Cartwright and John identified his wife as Margaret in his will blogged earlier:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/12/will-of-john-blake-esquire-of-new-sarum.html

That clears up that misconception.

Margaret identifies her children as Margaret Kitson and Henrietta Shuckburgh as her two remaining daughters. Ann, her other daughter left her will which was blogged:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/11/will-of-ann-blake-spinster-new-sarum.html

Margaret doesn’t mention her sons John Cartwright Blake or Robert Blake. However, her will does show the Cartwright line clearly.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 19 Dec 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1535/342
Testator: Margaret Blake, widow
Place: New Sarum (Salisbury), Wiltshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 21 Jan 1812, probated 24 Jul 1812
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Margaret
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 6

1    This is the last Will and Testament of me
2    Margaret Blake of the City of New Sarum in the County of Wilts
3    widow made and published the twenty first day of January in the
4    year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twelve in manner
5    and form following that is to say pursuant to and by force and
6    virtue and in exercise and execution of the power or authority to
7    me for this purpose given and reserved in and by the last Will and
8    Testament of my late Mother Charlotte Cartwright Widow deceased
9    and of all and every other power and authority in and vested or enabling
10    me thereunto I give bequeath direct appoint and dispose of the
11    Capital Stock or sum of two thousand pounds in Old South Sea
12    Annuities which in and by my said late Mothers Will was and is
13    bequeathed to the Trustees therein named upon the trusts therein mentioned concerning the same unto
14    my two only surviving daughters Margaret Kitson and Henrietta
15    Shuckburgh to be assigned and transferred into their respective names hands
16    in equal proportions as soon as conveniently may be after my decease
17    also I give and bequeath to my Grandson Edward Kitson Eldest
18    son of my said daughter Margaret Kitson the Navy Five per cent
19    Bank Annuities standing in my name and purchased with the sum
20    of one hundred and ninety pounds which I received as the first
21    dividend of my debt proved under a Commission of Bankrupt
22    against Michael Burrough together or with all such future
23    dividends as maybe made on my said debt or such further Stock
24    as I may purchase therewith the said Stock of Funds to be sold and
25    transferred and the dividends and produce thereof to be paid also
26    applied by my Executors for or towards the education or otherwise
27    for the benefit of my said Grandson at such time or times and in such
28    manner as my said Executors in their discretion shall think proper
29    and as to all the rest and residue of all my Monies Securities for
30    Money Plate Linen China Prints Books household Goods and
31    Furniture and other my Personal Estate whatsoever not hereby
32    otherwise disposed of I give and bequeath the same to my said
33    daughters Margaret Kitson and Henrietta Shuckburgh to be
34    equally divided between them and I make and appoint them
35    the said Margaret Kitson and Henrietta Shuckburgh Executors
36    of this my last Will and Testament and it is my Will and meaning
37    that my said daughters shall receive and take the property and
38    benefit hereinbefore appointed disposed of and bequeathed to
39    them respectively to and for each of their sole and separate use
40    exclusive of their several husbands and free from their interference
41    or control respectively and the receipts of my said daughters only
42    shall be proper and sufficient discharges for the same In Witness
43    whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and year
44    first thereinbefore written Margaret Blake Signed sealed
45    published and declared by the Testatrix Margaret Blake as and
46    for her last Will and Testament in the presence of us Sally
47    Rogers Tho: Chuff
48    Proved at London 24th July 1812 before the Judge by the
49    Oaths of Mary Kitson Wife of the Rev[eren]d Edward Addicott Kitson
50    Clerk and Henrietta Shuckburgh (Wife of the Rev[eren]d Charles William
51    Shuckburgh Clerk) the daughters and Exors to whom Admon was
52    granted having been first sworn by Comon duly to admin[ist]er

No comments: