Saturday, March 29, 2014

Will of Mary Blake, Goldwell House Speenhill, Berkshire - The National Archives PROB 11/1371/178, probated 15 Mar 1802

This is the will of Mary Blake, wife of Captain John Blake of the Honourable East India Company, and mother of Arabella Blake, spinster, whose will was blogged yesterday:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2014/03/will-of-arabella-blake-spinster-upton.html

All the details on Mary can be found in this earlier blog after her marriage.

She was the daughter of Charles Tymewell of Peckham, Surrey, Gent and Arabella (widow of John Hitchin, Gent) of Peckham, Surrey.

There is a baptism for a Charles Timewell at Saint Olave, Southwark, Surrey 22 Feb 1694 (also born 22 Feb 1694) son of Charles Timewell and Priscilla (an earlier baptism 31 Dec 1690 also for Charles Timewell with the same parents). Peckham is south of Southwark (a couple of miles).
From the Allegations for marriage licences issued by the vicar-general, Volume 2:

25 Oct 1687 Charles Tymewell of St Olave’s Southwark, Surrey, Feltmaker, bachelor about 27 and Mrs Priscilla Collins of Christ Church, Surrey, Spinster about 21 years with the consent of her father Robert Collins, Christ Church.

Another record from the newspaper.com site: Charles Tymewell and Arabella his wife were married 9 May 1721 at St Ann’s Church near Aldersgate. Their daughter Mary Tymewell was born ….. The rest of the text is missing. If this is the present testator then she was born after 1721 and that would have made her less than 76 years of age when she wrote the will. At that time some of her grandsons were over 21 years of age and so the age would seem to fit. She married John Blake in 1743 and with a birth year of 1721 or later her age would be 22 years or less when she married and their first child was born in 1744 (Sally Hitchen Blake baptized 12 Oct 1744).

Is the Charles Tymewell married to Priscilla the father of Charles the father of Mary the testatrix? Mary’s father Charles would have had to be born/baptized 1694 which would make him 27 years of age when he married Arabella but she was named as his third wife. The earliest that he would have married would likely be 1715 plus or minus a couple of years. I am not actually tracing the Tymewell family however, so will leave it with this information gleaned thus far.

The Will of Charles Tymewell was probated 26 Sep 1727 and a quick glance at his will written in Peckham, Surrey and he is mentioned as a Gentleman. He remembered members of the Tudman family. He remembers his daughter Mary and she is a young child. He leaves her three thousand pounds. He also remembers his daughter in law (child of Arabella Hitchin who was a widow when she married him) with a property in Somerset. This will was probated but not administered until Mary Blake (wife of John Blake) was granted administration of her mother’s estate intestate which included administering her father’s estate. Always nice to have these little notes written on the probate to help link families.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 29 March 2014
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1371/178
Testator: Mary Blake
Place: Goldwell House Speenhill, Berkshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 7 Jul 1797, probated 15 Mar 1802
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Mary
[Margin]: Blake

1    I Mary Blake
2    of Goldwell house Speenhill in the County of Berks Widow
3    being of sound mind memory and understanding do make
4    this my last Will and Testament in manner Following
5    that is to say, first I will and direct that all my Just debts
6    and Funeral Expences shall be fully paid and satisfied and
7    subject thereto I give and dispose of my Estate and Effects as
8    follows I give devise and bequeath all my Freehold
9    copyhold and leasehold Estates whatsoever and
10    wheresoever with all and every the appurtenances
11    thereto belonging subject nevertheless to the payment
12    of my debts and the pecuniary legacies hereafter given in case my personal Estates not hereafter
13    specifically bequeathed shall not be sufficient to
14    answer and pay the same unto my daughter
15    Arabella Blake and her assigns for and during the
16    term of her natural life and from and after her
17    death then I give devise and bequeath my said Freehold
18    Copyhold and Leasehold Estates unto my Son in Law
19    Henry Hinde Pelly Esq[uie]r his heirs Executors Admors
20    and Assigns for ever or for such Term Estate and
21    Interest as shall then be to come therein I give
22    to my said Son in Law Henry Hinde Pelly Esq[uie]r one
23    hundred pounds I give to my daughter Sally Hitchin
24    Pelly his Wife one hundred pounds I give to my
25    Grand daughter Mary Pelly daughter of the said
26    Henry Hinde Pelly and Sally Hitchin Pelly his Wife
27    the Capital Sum of two hundred pounds South Sea
28    Stock (part of the South Sea Stock) now standing in my Name and I do direct
29    that the same be transferred within twelve Calendar
30    Months after my decease to her the said Mary
31    Pelly I give to my Grandson Raymond Pelly son of the
32    said Henry Hinde Pelly and Sally Hitchin Pelly his
33    Wife the like Capital Sum of two hundred pounds
34    South Sea Stocks now standing in my Name and
35    I do direct that the same together with the dividends
36    to accrue due thereon after my decease shall be
37    transferred and paid to him when he shall attain his
38    age of twenty one years and I do hereby authorize
39    empower and direct my said Executors from time to
40    time during the Minority of my said Grandson to lay
41    out and invest the dividends to accrue due on the said
42    Sum of two hundred pounds South Sea Stock in the
43    purchase of South Sea Stock to accumulate for the
44    benefit of my said Grandson I give to my said
45    daughter Arabella Blake one thousand pounds now
46    lent on Mortgage to Mr John Dearing of Canterbury also
47    the Capital Sum of sixteen hundred pounds three
48    pounds per cent Consolidated Bank Annuitys part of
49    two thousand four hundred pounds three per Cent
50    Consolidated Bank Annuities
    [Page 2]
51    now standing in my Name and all my
52    share and Interest in Bricker Barn Turnpike I
53    give to the said Henry Hinde Pelly his Executors and
54    Administrators the Capital Sum of one thousand
55    pounds East India Stock standing in my Name
56    upon Trust that he and they do and shall from
57    time to time during the natural life of my daughter
58    Mary Tymewell the Wife of George Anson Nutt
60    Esq[uie]r pay to or otherwise permit and suffer my said
61    daughter and her assigns to receive and take the
62    Interest dividends and Annual produce thereof to
63    and for her own sole separate and peculiar use
64    independent of and not to be subject or liable to the
65    debts Controul or Engagements of her said husband
66    and for that purpose my Will is and I direct that
67    her Receipt alone shall be a sufficient discharge
68    for such Interest Dividends and annual produce
69    and from and after the death of my said daughter
70    Mary Tymewell Nutt upon Trust that he and they
71    do and shall transfer assign and pay the said
72    Capital Sum of one thousand pounds East India
73    Stock and the Interest dividends and Annual
74    produce to accrue due after the death of my said
75    daughter unto and among all and every the
76    Child and Children of my said daughter Mary
77    Tymewell Nutt if more than one equally share
78    and share alike and if but one then to such only
79    one the Shares of such Children having a Son or
80    Sons to be assigned transferred and paid to him
81    and them at his and their age or respective ages
82    of twenty one years and of such of them being a
83    daughter or daughters at the like age or ages
84    of twenty one years or day or days of Marriage
85    which shall first happen and if any or either of such
86    Children shall die before such age or Marriage then
87    my Will is and I do direct that the shares of such of them
88    so dying shall go to the Survivors or Survivor of them
89    and be assigned transferred and paid at the same
90    time and be again subject and liable to the same
91    chance of accurer by Survivorship as their original
92    shares of the said Trust Monies due before directed to be
93    assigned transferred and paid and under subject to and
94    in case all such Children shall dye before such age or
95    Marriage of there shall not be any such Child then
96    upon Trust that he and they do and shall assign
97    transfer and pay the said Trust Monies and every
98    part thereof unto such person or persons and at such
99    time or times and in such manner as my said daughter
100    Mary Tymewell Nutt shall notwithstanding her
101    Coverture by any deed or deeds writing or writings
102    or by her last Will and Testament in Writing
    [Page 3]
103    duly executed in the presence of and attested by two
104    or more credible Witnesses direct or appoint and in
105    default of such direction or appointment do and shall
106    assign transfer and pay the same and every part
107    thereof unto the Executors or Administrators of my
108    said daughter Mary Tymewell Nutt and my Will is
109    and I do hereby authorize and empower the said
110    Henry Hinde Pelly his Executors or Admors from time
111    to time after the death of my said daughter Mary
112    Tymewell Nutt during the Minority of the Child
113    or Children of my said daughter Mary Tymewell
114    Nutt to lay out and invest the Interest dividends
115    and annual produce of the said Capital Sum
116    of one thousand pounds East India Stock in some or
117    one of the public Stocks or Funds to accumulate for
118    the benefit of the parties who shall be entitled to the
119    Capital of the said Trust Monies and that such
120    accumulated Stocks or Funds shall be assigned and
121    transferred with the Capital of the said Trust Monies
122    to the party or parties who by virtue of this my
123    Will shall be entitled to such Capital I give to my
124    Grandson Henry Anson Nutt Son of George Anson Nutt
125    and Mary Tymewell Nutt his wife the Capital Sum
126    of two hundred pounds South Sea Stock now standing
127    in my Name And I do direct that the same together
128    with the Interest and dividends to accrue due thereon
129    after my death shall be transferred and paid to him
130    when he shall attain his age of twenty one years and
131    I do hereby authorize empower and direct my said
132    Executors from time to time during the Minority of
133    my said Grandson Henry Anson Nutt to lay out and
134    Invest the Interest and dividends to accrue due on the
135    said Sum of two hundred pounds South Sea Stock in
136    the purchase of South Sea Stock to accumulate for the
137    benefit of my said Grandson I give to John Joseph
138    Blake the adopted Son of my Son John Bradby
139    Blake Esq[uie]r the Capital Sum of eight hundred pound
140    three pound per Cent Consolidated Bank Annuities
141    I give ti my daughter Mary Tymewell Nutt
142    four hundred pound South Sea Stock I give to Miss
143    Mary See who now lives with me fifty pounds I
144    give to my Maid Servant Eleanor Brenillead
145    the Sum of one hundred pounds and as to all the
146    rest and Residue and Remainder of my Estates and
147    Effects whatsoever and wheresoever which I shall
148    be seized possessed of or intitled unto at the time of
149    my death I give devise and bequeath the same
150    and every part thereof unto my said daughter
151    Arabella Blake her heirs Executors Admors and
152    Assigns for ever or far Estate term and Interest as
153    shall be there to come therein and lastly I do
    [Page 4]
154    hereby make constitute and appoint the said
155    Henry Hinde Pelly Esquire and my said daughter
156    Arabella Blake Executor and Executrix of this my last
157    Will and Testament hereby revoking and declaring
158    void all former and other Wills and Codicils by me at
159    any time heretofore made and do declare this only to
160    be my last Will and Testament In Witness whereof
161    I the said Mary Blake have to this my last Will and
162    Testament set my hand and seal this seventh day of
163    June in the year of our Lord one thousand seven
164    hundred and ninety seven Mary Blake Signed
165    Sealed published and declared by the said Mary
166    Blake as and for her last Will and Testament in the
167    presence of us who in her presence at her request
168    and in the presence of each other have hereunto
169    subscribed our Names as Witnesses Margaret Brown
170    Mary Lee Jere[mia]h Flack
171    This Will was proved at London on the
172    fifteenth day of March in the Year of our Lord one
173    thousand eight hundred and two before the Right
174    honorable Sir William Wynne Knight doctor of Laws
175    Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative
176    Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the Oaths
177    of Henry Hinde Pelly Esq[uie]r and Arabella Blake spinster
178    the daughter of the deceased the Executors named
179    in the said Will to whom administration was granted
181    of all and Singular the Goods Chattels and Credits of
182    the said deceased they having been first sworn (to wit)
183    the said Henry Hinde Pelly before the Worshipful
184    Charles Cooke and the said Arabella Blake before the
185    Worshipful Samuel Pearce parson doctor of Law and
186    Surrogate duly to administer

No comments: