Thursday, May 8, 2014

Will of John Blake, Surgeon, Saint Mary Redcliff, Bristol - The National Archives PROB 11/2036/404, probated 4 Jun 1846

The testator is John Blake, Surgeon, and his marriage to Ann Potter Mais took place 7 Feb 1828 at St Michaels, Bristol (M17256-2, Family Search).

There is an online tree for Ann Potter Mais and she was the daughter of Henry Mais and Ann Potter who were married 19 Jan 1774 at Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire. John Blake was the first husband of Ann and she secondly married a John Warry (29 Jan 1849 and from the Parish Register “On 29 January 1849, the marriage took place of Ann Potter Mais, widow, of full age, and living at Colston Parade, St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol, daughter of Henry Mais, and John Warry.”. Ann’s date of birth is given as circa 1775. Ann is traced back through several generations and notably one sibling was born at Kingston Jamaica. There is extensive information on the Maies/Mayes family:

http://www.newtons-online.net/getperson.php?personID=I1001&tree=OurGenealogy

and also another online narrative tree for Ann Potter Mais

http://newtons-online.net/histories/narr.pdf

This document gives an extensive history of the family in Jamaica. Again no details on John Blake. John Blake and his wife were remembered in the will of Amelia Glisson (John Blake was one of the executors).

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 17 Apr 2014
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/2036/404
Testator:  John Blake, Surgeon
Place: Saint Mary Redcliff, Bristol, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 5 Feb 1841, probated 4 Jun 1846
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: John
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 3

1    This is the last Will and Testament
2    of me John Blake of the parish of Saint Mary Redcliff in the
3    City of Bristol Surgeon First I will and direct all my just debts
4    funeral and testamentary expences to be fully paid and satisfied
5    by my executrix  hereinafter appointed I give devise and bequeath
6    all my real and Personal Estate and Effects whatsoever and whereso-
7    ever of which I shall die possessed unto my dear wife Anne Potter
8    Blake her heirs executors administrators and assigns for her and
9    their own absolute use and benefit And I appoint my said wife
10    sole Executrix of this my will hereby revoking all other wills by
11    me at any time heretofore made In witness whereof I the said
12    John Blake have to this my last will and testament set my
13    hand this fifth day of February one thousand eight hundred and
14    forty one John Blake Signed by the said John Blake the
15    testator in the presence of us present at the same time who in his
16    presence have subscribed our names as witnesses W G Atkins late
17    Bristol E Atkins Gent Bristol
18    Proved at London 4th June 1846 before the Judge by the Oath
19    of Ann (in the will written Anne) Potter Blake widow the relict
20    the sole Executrix to whom Admon was granted having been first
21    sworn by Comon duly to administer.

No comments: