Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Will of John Blake, Yeoman, Prestbury, Gloucestershire - Diocese of Bristol Wills on Ancestry, probated 6 Jan 1680/81

John Blake, yeoman of Prestbury, is the testator. He names his eldest son Thomas executor and Thomas will inherit all of his property and goods with some bequests for his other children John, Mary Halling (her husband and three children), Elinor, William, Elizabeth and Robert.

Prestbury is two miles from Cheltenham, 5 miles from Up Hatherley, 5 miles from Shipton, 6 miles from Cowley, and ten miles from Duntisbourne Abbotts and Gloucester.

On Family Search I did find the baptism of a Robert Blake son of John Blake at Prestbury 1 Mar 1660 ("England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NLJK-CXL : accessed 15 Jul 2014), Robert Blake, 01 Mar 1660; citing PRESTBURY,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 417146.). Also at Charlton Kings which is only 2 miles from Prestbury baptisms for William Blake and Elizabeth Blake 28 May 1657 with father John Blake ("England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NP5B-8HH : accessed 15 Jul 2014), William Blake, ; citing CHARLTON KINGS,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 856936.).

Consistory Court of Gloucester, Will number 66, 1680, GDR/Wills/1680 (66)
Ancestry.com. Gloucestershire, England, Wills and Inventories, 1541-1858 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.
Original data: Gloucestershire Probate Records. Diocese of Gloucestershire, Finding Reference GDR, Wills and Inventories. Gloucestershire Archives, Gloucester, UK.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 15 Jul 2014
Source: Ancestry – Diocese of Bristol Wills
Testator:  John Blake, Yeoman
Place: Prestbury, Gloucestershire, England
Type of Record: Probate
Date of document: 30 Mar 1680; probated 6 Jan 1680/81
Condition: 17th century English, legible copy

[Top]: T[esta]m[ent] Johns Blake
[Top]: March 30th 1680

1    In the Name of god Amen
2    I John Blake of Prestbury in the County of
3    Glouc[este]r yeoman being weak and languishing in body but
4    of good memory and understanding (thanks be to god for
5    his mercy) doe make and ordaine this my last will and
6    Testament in man[n]er and form as followeth, viz[ a vit]
7    I give and render unto god my creator and heavenly father my
8    immortal soul trusting in his mercy alone through the merits
9    of Christ Jesus for eternal salvacion
10    My body I order to be decently buried in the Church yard
11    of Prestbury
12    And as for my worldly estate as it hath pleased god to bestow
13    upon me I thus dispose of it and my will is
14    I give and bequeath to my son Thomas (whom I doe Afterward
15    nominate and constitute my sole executor ) all my land the
16    upper ground and lower ground called and knowne by the name
17    of Herle lying w[i]thin the parish of Prestbury to him and his
18    heires for ever im[m]ediatly after my decease
19    provided always that he pay to the rest of my children as
20    I do hereby appoint viz[ a vi]t
21    To my son John (to whome I bequeath) ten shillings
22    To my daughter Mary Halling (to whome I bequeath) ten shillings
23    Alsoe to her husband and three children twelve pence apiece
24    To my daughter Elinor (to whome I bequeath) fower pounds and
25    my second brasse kettle and ij pint skillet
26    To my son William (to whome I bequeath) fower pounds
27    To my daughter Elizabeth (to whome I bequeath) seaven pounds
28    and the biggest brass kettle and the little brasse kettle
29    To my son Robert (to whome I bequeath) fower pounds
30    Alsoe to pay twenty pounds (besides these legacies) viz[ a vi]t
31    ten pounds to the widow Smyth of Brockhampton and ten pounds
32    to Mr Dodswell
33    Alsoe I doe order and my will is that w[i]thin one year after my decease
34    my Executor doe pay the legacies above menc[io]ned unto my son
35    John and to my daughter Halling her husband and children and to
36    my daughter Elener
37    and for the rest of the legacies I doe order that they be
38    paid year by year afterwards (as they are given in this my will)
39    till they be all discharged one after another and if my son Thomas have
40    noe heir I doe order that my land shall be left to the rest of my children then
41    I doe hereby nominate and constitute my son Thomas sole executor of
42    this my last will and testament and doe give him besides my land
43    already bequeathed all my goods chattel and cattell whatsoever
44    In witness for confirmacion I have hereunto set my hand
45    and seal the day and yeare first above written
46    John Blake
47    Sealed and subscribed in
48    the p[re]sence of Edw: Bedford
49    Her marke X Eliz: Smart
    [Page 2]
50    Probatum fuit ho[min]i testamen[tum] apud Glouc vicesimo sixto
51    die Januarij 1680 Coram ven[er]abiliro Richardo Parsons Legu[m]
........

No comments: