Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Cornwall Trees for the Blake family still in process

I continue my project on extracting information from the Cornwall wills, the OPC Cornwall databases and eventually the census to build relevant trees for the Blake family in Cornwall. There are a lot of Blake families in Cornwall and as I work my way through this first set of trees after publishing my own tree from Joseph down at Upper Clatford I am starting to find somewhat of a rhythym in the work. It will take time to publish these trees on my blog but I do feel that the time has come to start to do family reconstruction based on my transcriptions of the last couple of years.

Having said that, I realize that it is also time to work on the Pincombe family and put that information online. Initially I was taking the charts that I had from the earlier Pincombe/Pinkham study and putting them into a matching excel chart but I realized that it was better if I went directly to Legacy and build them there. Each chart can be individually displayed in Legacy Charting. What I lose is the whole page look of the original project but it could be that I could remedy that using Powerpoint. The original project was on large bulletin board sheets with the centuries marked along the left hand side. The "founder" was at the top for particular areas (Devon) and then the various family groupings as put together could be found opposite their appropriate time frame with the main family known to be at that location traced down as far as it was possible. There were many many broken sections due to an inability to make the connections at that time. Some of those connections I have made but others are still needing proof.

I shall continue through this week working on my Cornwall Blake charts on Legacy and hope to publish one or more early next week. Gardening as always comes between me and my computer and that is probably a healthy thing! Today we completed the task of digging out the root of our 30 year old crab apple tree. It must weigh around 75 pounds as it is nicely trimmed down by my husband but we still need to break it up further to have it taken away. As we dug into the ground to release the root we were into our clay layer. It was tempting to model some of that clay as our children did years ago. We would fill the sandbox with lovely soft brown sand and they would dig down to the clay and mould clay as children!

Now that I have set a timeline of ten more years to work on Genealogy, I shall be able to put everything into perspective with regard to what I can accomplish and the legacy that I want to give to each project. That I may continue beyond ten years could happen but I think that planning for a decade is a wise decision. I hope in this decade to find someone who is interested in both Blake and Pincombe as a one-name study but not until the end of the decade hopefully and I could pass my research on to them but also archive the bulk of the transcriptions and trees with internet archive if they are willing to take the information as *.pdf files.

Thinking through how to display these trees in an *.pdf file and I am working on that particular aspect using the Joseph Blake line at Andover. It is a large file and putting it into Legacy Charting there are seven generations over 110 pages.  The descendant book is 72 pages with all the information included. I need to link that book to the appropriate wills book. Plus there are another 11 generations back from Joseph and I need to think through how to display this entire Hampshire-1 tree (174 pages) and I would have to link these to the wills books because it would be too much duplication. I still have a lot of material to put into the generations before Joseph as I do have material to trace these lines down but haven't entered that into Legacy yet. So the 174 pages is going to be quite a bit longer.  That is just one Blake family in Hampshire.

No comments: