Thursday, April 27, 2017

Will of Jasper Blake, gunner, of his Majestys Ship Hawke - The National Archives, PROB 11/731, probated 31 Jan 1743

The testator, Jasper Blake, provides lots of identifying comments in his will. Comments on this will include in the margin: Void being registered before

And on the bottom of the page: Examined with the Original Wills by me Silas Duncombe.

Jasper Blake mentions the Blake family of Galway in his will naming his brother as Francis Blake. This is the family of Thomas Blake the elder who lived at Furbough, Galway. Francis was the elder son.

Ancestry Chart of Jasper Blake

                                +--- 12-Richard Caddell alias Blake,b.Bef 1278,d.???
                                |
                             +--+ 11-Walter Blake,d.Aft Mar 1357
                             |  |   
                             |  +--- 12-Eveline,d.???
                             |
                          +--+ 10-Geoffrey Blake,d.???
                          |
                       +--+ 9-Walter Blake,d.1452
                       |
                    +--+ 8-John Blake,d.???
                    |
                 +--+ 7-Richard Blake,d.???
                 |
              +--+ 6-Patrick Blake,d.???
              |
           +--+ 5-Alderman Andrew Blake,d.1624
           |
        +--+ 4-Andrew (Oge) Blake,d.1687
        |  |      
        |  |  +--- 6-Martin,d.???
        |  |  |
        |  +--+ 5-Juliane Martin,d.???
        |
     +--+ 3-Francis Blake,d.???
     |  |      
     |  |  +--- 5-Dominick Martyn,d.???
     |  |  |
     |  +--+ 4-Christiane Martyn,d.???
     |
  +--+ 2-Thomas Blake The Elder,d.???
  |  |   
  |  +--- 3-Jane Martyn,d.???
  |
--+ 1-Jasper Blake,d.???
Jasper is the 8th great grandson of Richard Caddell alias Blake. Francis, his brother, was still living in 1748 and his son was Thomas Blake, the younger. This Thomas died without issue and any property devolved upon his cousin John Blake, eldest son of Andrew Blake of Ballymanagh.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 26 Apr 2017
Source:  The National Archives, PROB 11/731
Name of testator: Jasper Blake, Gunner
Place: of his Majestys Ship Hawke
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 20 Oct 1741, probated 31 Jan 1743

[In margin]: Jasper Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Jasper Blake Gunner of his Majesties Ship Hawke being in
3    Bodily health and of sound and disposing Mind and Memory and
4    considering the perils and dangers of the Seas and other uncertain
5    ties of this transitory Life do for avoiding controversies after my
6    decease make publish and declare this my last Will and Testament
7    in manner and Form following (That is to say) First I recommend
8    my Soul to God that gave it and my Body I commit to the
9    Earth or Sea as it shall please God to order and as for and
10    concerning all my Worldly Estate I Give bequeath and dispose
11    there of as followeth that is to say I Give and bequeath the
12    whole of my Real and personal Estate by and Between William
13    Hawes of the Navy Office Gentleman and Sarah Harthy of the
11    parish of Maccullen of the County of Galway but in case she dyes
15    I Give the said One moiety to her Son John and to my Brother
16    Francis Blake I Give one shilling Wages sum and sums of money
17    Lands Tenements Goods Chattels and Estate whatsoever as shall be
18    be any ways due owing or belonging unto me at the time of
19    my decease I do Give devise and Bequeath the same unto the
20    said William Hawes and Sarah Harthy in case she died to her
21    Son John Harthy to be equally divided between the said William
22    Hawes his Executor of this my last Will and Testament hereby
23    revokeing all former and other Wills Testaments and deeds of Gift
24    by me at any time heretofore made and I do Ordain and Ratify
25    these presents to stand and be for and as my only last Will and
26    Testament In Witness whereof to this my said Will I have
27    set my hand and Seal the Twentieth day of October Anno domini
28    1741 and in the Fifteenth year of the Reign of his Majesty King
29    George the Second over Great Britain etc Jasper Blake
30    Signed Sealed published and declared in the presence of Rob
31    Mercer Thomas Wright R Wooding
32    This Will was proved at London before the Right
33    Worshipfull John Bettesworth doctor of Laws Master Keeper or
34    Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully
35    constituted on the Thirty first day of January in the Year of our
36    Lord One Thousand Seven hundred and Forty three by the Oath
37    of William Hawes Esquire the Executor in the said Will named
38    To whom Administration was Granted of all and singular the
39    Goods Chattels and Credits of the said deceased being first sworn
40    duly to administer

No comments: