Monday, May 8, 2017

Will of John Blake on board his Majestys Ship Emerald - The National Archives PROB 11/1409, probated 12 Jun 1804

John Blake, the testator, names his father as Robert Blake of Kingston in Dorsetshire. There was a baptism of a John Blake son of Robert and Mary Blake 29 Jan 1775 at Milton Abbas, Dorset. It is about 20 miles from Milton Abbas to Kingston. I find this somewhat interesting as the testator mentions a Thomas Knight, seaman, as one of his executors. There were a number of Knight families at Milton Abbas, Dorset including my own Knight lines of whom I have several (two of my 3x great grandparents were Knight – Ellis Knight married Eleanor Knight 29 May 1804 at Spetisbury and they were 2nd cousins. 

I was unable to find a marriage of a Robert Blake and Mary other than at Tisbury, Wiltshire 23 Sep 1771 (Robert Blake and Mary Ford). This is a distance of 26 miles.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 29 Apr 2017
Source:  The National Archives, PROB 11/1409
Name of testator: John Blake
Place: on board his Majestys Ship Emerald
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 1 Dec 1802, probated 12 Jun 1804

[In margin]: Testament: John Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I John Blake Seaman on Board his Majestys
3    Ship Emerald being in Bodily health and of
4    sound and disposing mind and memory and
5    considering the perils and dangers of the Seas
6    and other uncertainties of this transitory Life do
7    for avoiding Controversies after my decease
8    make publish and declare this my last
9    Will and Testament in manner following
10    that is to say First I recommend my Soul to
11    God that gave it and my Body I commit
12    to the Earth or Sea as it shall please
13    God to order and as for and concerning all
11    my Worldly Estate I give bequeath and
15    dipose thereof as followeth (that is to say)
16    all Wages Sum and Sums of money Lands
17    Tenements Goods Chattels and Estate whatsoever
18    as shall in any ways due owing or belonging
19    unto me at the time of my decease I do give
20    devise and bequeath the same unto my Dear
21    and Beloved Father Robert Blake of
22    Kingston in Dorsetshire in the Kingdom of
23    Great Britain and I do hereby nominate and
24    appoint the aforesaid Robert Blake Thomas
25    Knight Invalid at present in his Majestys
26    Naval hospital Antigua and John Ashfield
27    Seaman of Board his Majestys Ship Emerald
28    Executors of this my last Will and Testament
29    hereby revoking all former and other Wills
30    and Deeds of Gifts by me at any time heretofore
31    made and I do ordain and ratify these presents
32    to stand and be for and as my only last
33    Will and Testament In Witness whereof to this
34    my said Will I have set my hand and Seal the
35    first day of December in the year of our Lord
36    one thousand Eight hundred and two and in
37    the Forty second year of the Reign of his Majesty
38    King George the third over Great Britain
39    John Blake his Mark Signed Sealed
40    published and declared in the presence of Wm
41    Brown Seaman John Ashfield Seaman patients
42    in the Hospital attested John Cole appointed to take care
43    of sick and wounded Seaman Antigua
44    This Will was proved at London the
45    twelfth day of June in the year of our Lord One
46    thousand Eight hundred and Four before the Right
47    Honorable Sir William Wynne Knight doctor of
48    Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the
49    Prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted
50    by the Oathes of Robert Blake the Father and
51    one of the Executors named in the said Will to
52    whom administration was granted of all and
53    Singular the Goods Chattles and Credits of the
54    said deceased having been first Sworn by
55    Commission duly to administer power reserved of
56    making the like grant to Thomas Knight and
57    John Ashfield the other Executors named in
58    the said Will when they or either of them
59    shall apply for the same

No comments: