Monday, February 24, 2020

Will of Thomas Blake, Midshipman of His Majesty's Ship Conqueror of Saint Mary Parish, Dover, Kent - The National Archives PROB 11/1104/285, probated 14 Jun 1783

Thomas Blake, testator, provides only the name of his mother Ann Blake.

There was a baptism at St Mary the Virgin, Dover Kent 3 Apr 1766 for Thomas Blake son of George and Ann Blake 3 Apr 1766. Interesting enough there was a marriage 19 Aug 1755 between George Blake and Ann Pohill (note one of the witnesses to the will was a W Polhill). The marriage registration states: George Blake and Ann Polhill Spinster both of this Parish were married in this Church by Banns this nineteenth day of August in the year of our Lord One Thousand Seven hundred and fifty five by me John Nairn Curate. This Marriage was solemnized between us Geo Blake (signed) Ann Polhill (X her mark) In the presence of Hughes Miner and S Jelly (Source Page 35, #52, Kent Canterbury Archdeaconry Marriages Image, Find My Past, viewed 24 Feb 2020). Of interest, an Indenture was also located with George Blake as Master Cooper.

I did not locate a burial for Thomas Blake the testator.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 16 Feb 2020
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1104/285
Testator: Thomas Blake, Midshipman of His Majesty’s Ship Conqueror of Saint Mary Parish
Place: Dover, Kent
Type of Record:    Will
Date of document: 6 Nov 1781, probated 14 Jun 1783

[Margin]: Thomas Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Thomas Blake Midshipman of his Majesty’s Ship Conqueror
3    and belonging to the parish of Saint Marys in Dover in
4    the County of Kent being of sound and disposing Mind and
5    Memory do hereby make this my last Will and Testament
6    First and principally I recommend my soul into the hands
7    of Almighty God hoping for Remission of all my Sins
8    through the Merits of Jesus Christ my blessed Saviour
9    and Redeemer and my Body to the Earth or Sea as it
10    shall please God And as for such worldly Estate and
11    effects which I shall be possessed of or intitled unto at the
12    time of my decease I give and bequeath the same as
13    followeth that is to say I give and bequeath unto my
14    dearly beloved Mother Ann Blake of Dover in the County
15    of Kent all such Wages Sum and Sums of Money as now
16    or hereafter shall be due to me for my service or otherwise
17    on board the said ship or any other ship or vessel And I do
18    hereby nominate constitute and appoint my dearly beloved
19    Mother of Dover aforesaid Executrix of this my last Will
20    and Testament and I do give and bequeath unto my said
21    Executrix all the Rest and Residue of my Estate whatsoever
22    both real and personal hereby revoking and making void all
23    other and former Wills by me heretofore made And do declare
24    this to be my last Will and Testament In Witness whereof I
25    have hereunto set my hand and seal this sixth day of
26    november in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred
27    and eighty one And in the twenty First year of the Reign of
28    Our Soveraine Lord George the third by the Grace of God of
29    Great Britain France and Ireland King defender of the Faith
30    Thomas Blake Signed sealed published and
31    declared by the said Thomas Blake aforesaid as and for his
32    Last Will and Testament in the presence of us who have hereunto
33    subscribed our Names as Witnesses in the presence of the said
34    testator Jas Hammond one of his Majesty’s Justices of the
35    Peace Force Thos Boyton W Polhill
36    This Will was proved at London the
37    thirteenth day of June in the Year of our Lord one
38    thousand seven hundred and eighty three before the
39    worshipful George Harris doctor of Laws ans Surrogate
40    of the Right Worshipful Peter Calvert doctor of Laws
41    Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court
42    of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the Oath of Ann
43    Blake Widow the Mother of the deceased and sole Executrix
44    named in the said Will to whom administration was
45    granted of all and singular the Goods Chattels and Credits
46    of the said deceased having been first sworn duly to
47    administer

No comments: