Thursday, March 23, 2023

The Will of Alice Siderfin, Periton, Minehead, Somerset, England - National Archives UK, PROB 11/942/259

 I first started to transcribe this will nearly twenty years ago but never did finish it. The will reminds me that the Siderfin, Question, Quirke and Short families were all part of the marrying relationships that formed in these families in the 1600s/1700s. In this case the testator is Alice (Quirke) Siderfin married to Walter Siderfin 25 Jan 1717 at Luxborough.

 There were three sisters (all daughters of (unknown) Quirke and Mary (Coffin) Quirke (although the age difference between these sisters is fairly large) namely Mary and she was married to John Question (brother to Elizabeth Question who married Robert Siderfin), Alice married to Walter Siderfin and Isott Quirke married to a John Quirke.

 Fortunately Mary (Coffin) Quirke left her will dated 3 Mar 1728 and proved 29 April 1730 where she names her family members:

Mary Quirke, Periton, Minehead, Somerset

Widow, Will dated 3 Mar 1728, Will proved 29 April 1730

Son in law Walter Siderfin

Grandson Thomas Quirke

Daughter Mary Question

Daughter Alice Siderfin

Son John Quirke

Son James Quirke

Son Robert Quirke

Son Thomas Quirke

 To bring the Short family into the discussion. John Short married Susannah Question (baptized 13 Feb 1706 at Carhampton daughter of Augustine Question and Cecilia Russell) 13 Apr 1732 at Carhampton. Augustine Question was a brother to Elizabeth Question and John Question both mentioned above.

Alice, the testator, does say that John Short is her nephew and I have not yet determined that relationship, he is related (at least his children are) as he married Susannah Question  whose mother was Mary Quirke, sister to Alice. It would be interesting to discover the actual relationship going further back as there was perhaps. Alice’s son Robert Siderfin died before his mother and so the properties given to her son and that she inherited in her own right she would want to stay in her family or close by which perhaps explains why it is John Short’s children that are to benefit. 

Another will of interest is once again only an abstract as the original was destroyed in the bombing of the Devon Record Office in 1942.

 Robert Quirck, Minehead, Somerset, Gentleman
Will dated, 19 July 1731, Will proved 9 July 1732
Uncle Mr. Robert Siderfin (Executor)
Son of kinsman Mr. Walter Siderfin, is Robert Siderfin, gives his estate in Old Cleeve

Robert is likely a son of Mary (Coffin) Quirck and so brother to Alice (Quirke) Siderfin who was married to Walter Siderfin. The son of Walter and Alice is mentioned namely Robert to inherit Old Cleeve (this property reverted to his mother and mentioned in the will below). The Robert Siderfin to whom he is referring is an interesting mention because there only appears to be Robert (married to Elizabeth Question) but his will was also written in 1731 and probated then but this couple did have a son Robert Siderfin (baptized 9 Mar 1685 at Selworthy) but not sure one would see him as an Uncle. So very interesting and will work on that one. But one can see the reason for confusion sometimes found in James Sanders' book. 

Trying to identify the Robert Siderfin who would have been Robert Quirck's uncle. His mother was Isott Quirke married to John Quirke. Isott Quirke had two sisters, Mary married to John Question (he would have been an uncle to Robert) and Alice married to Walte3r Siderfin. Walter did have a brother Robert but he was deceased in 1714 (married to Joanna Kittener 25 Apr 1713 at Wootton Courtney). But Robert would just have been a brother to his Uncle Walter Siderfin. So an interesting Abstract and probably preferring to Robert Siderfin married to Elizabeth Question but he was not an uncle. Rather Robert would be a cousin to Walter Siderfin and his brothers Robert and John since their fathers were brothers.

 Recorded: 29th November 2005/23 Mar 2023

Source: National Archives, UK, PROB 11/942/259

Place: Periton, Minehead, Somerset, England

Type of Record: Will

Dated: 21st November 1768, probated, probated 30 Sep 1768

 Alice Siderfin

1

In the Name of God Amen

2

I Alice Siderfin of Periton within the parish of Minehead

3

in the County of Somerset widow being sick of Body but

4

of sound and perfect mind and memory praised to God for

5

the same do make and ordain this my last will and

6

Testament in manner and form following that is to say

7

first and principally I commend my Soul into the handes

8

of almighty God my Creator hoping through the merits of

9

Jesus Christ to obtain pardon and remission of all my

10

Sins and to inherit Everlasting life and my body I commit

11

to the Eart to be decently buried at the discretion of my

12

Executor herein afternamed in the Chancel of the parish

13

Church of Minehead as near to the Body of my Mother

14

Mary Quirke deceased as conveniently may be and as to

15

such worldly goods and temporal Estate as God has been

16

pleased to bestow upon me. I give devise and dispose thereof

17

as follows First I will and order that all such just debts as I

18

shall incure at the time of my decease shall be paid and

19

satisfied and whereas by virtue of my marriage settlement made

20

on my intermarriage with my husband Walter Siderfin   I am

21

seized in Fee Simple of and in certain lands tenements and

22

hereditaments situate lying and being in the parish of Withycombe

23

in the County aforesaid now in the tenure or

24

occupation of Robert Slocombe. I give devise and bequeath the

25

same unto my nephew John Short of Minehead aforesaid

26

apothecary and to his heirs and assigns to the use of the said

27

John Short his Sons and assigns for ever upon the trusts and to

28

and for the said intents and purposes hereinafter mentioned expressed

29

and declared (that is to say) In Trust and to and for the use

30

and Benefit of my Cousin Robert Quirke Short (first Son of

31

my said Nephew John Short) and his Heirs for ever But in

32

case he shall happen to die before he shall attain his age

33

of twenty one years then I give devise and bequeath the

34

same unto my said Nephew John Short In Trust and to

35

and for the use and Benefit of my Cousin John Short Second

36

son of my said Nephew John Short and his heirs for ever

37

But in case he shall also happen to die before he shall attain

38

his age of twenty one years then I give devise and bequeath

39

the same unto my said Nephew John Short In trust and to

40

and for the use and Benefit of my Cousin Samuel Short Third

41

son of my said Nephew John Short and his Heirs for ever

42

but in case he shall also happen to die before he attains

43

his age of twenty one years then I give devise and bequeath

44

the same unto my said my Cousin Augustine Question Short and his heirs for ever but in case they shall all happen to dye before they again the age of twenty one years Then I give devise and bequeath the same to my nephew the said John Short in Trust and to and for the use and benefit of Nephew John Short In Trust and

45

to and for the use and Benefit of all such other Child or

46

Children of the Body of my Nephew the said John Short on

47

the Body of Elizabeth Short his now wife begotten or to

48

be begotten and to their heirs and assigns for ever to be

49

equally divided between them share and share alike

50

and Whereas I am also seized in Fee Simple of and in certain

51

Lands Tenements and hereditaments situate lying and being

52

in the parish of Old Cleve called or known by the name of

53

Endley now in the Tenure or occupation of Robert Slocombe

54

I also give devise and bequeath the same unto my said Nephew

55

John Short and his heirs for ever upon the Trusts and to

56

and for the new Intents and purposes hereinafter also

57

mentioned and expressed that is to say In trust and to and for the use

58

and Benefit of my Cousin the above named Robert Quirke

59

Short and his heirs of ever But in case he shall happen

60

to die before he shall attain his said age of twenty one

61

years then In trust and to and for the use and Benefit of

62

my said Cousin the above named John Short and his heirs

63

for ever But in case he should also happen to die before he

64

shall attain that age then In Trust and to and for the use

65

and Benefit of my Cousin the abovenamed Samuel Short

66

and his heirs for ever But in case he shall likewise

67

happen to die before he shall attain his said age of twenty

68

one years then I give devise and bequeath the same unto

69

my said Nephew the said John Short and his heirs for

70

ever In Trust and to and for the use and Benefit of my

71

said Cousin the above named Augustin Question Short and

72

his heirs and assigns forever But in case they shall all

73

happen to die before their said age of twenty one years

74

then I give devise and bequeath the same to my said nephew

75

the said John Short In trust and to and for the

76

use and Benefit of all such other Child or Children of

77

the Body of my Nephew the said John Short

78

begotten or to be begotten on the Body of the said Elizabeth

79

his now wife and to their heirs and assigns for ever to

80

be equally divided between them share and share alike

81

and Lastly all the Rest Residue and Remainder of

82

Lands Tenements and hereditaments Goods or

83

Chattels Real and personal Estate Moneys and Securities

84

Money whatsoever or wheresover they be and which

85

shall be my my now entitled unto at the time of my death

86

I do devise and bequeath the same unto my said

87

nephew the said John Short whom I do hereby ordain and constitute

88

desire and appoint whole and sole Executor and

89

to see my Legacies of this my last Will and Testament

90

hereby revoking all former wills Bequests and Legacies by

91

any way heretofore made bequeathed or given

92

and do make and declare this only to be my last Will

93

and testament In trust nevertheless and to and for the

94

use and benefit of all and every such Child or Children

95

of the body of the said John Short on the Body of the said Elizabeth

96

his now Wife begotten or to be begotten equally to

97

be divided between them share and share alike As they

98

may respectively attain their age of twenty one years

99

my will further is and I do hereby order and direct that

100

all the Rents and profits of the said Estates and all the

101

interest of the Moneys or so much thereof as shall be

102

requested and necessary for that purpose shall be paid

103

and applied for and towards the Maintenance and

104

education of such Child or Children until they shall respectively

105

attain their age of twenty one years and at the time that

106

either of them attain his or her said age of twenty

107

one years then my will is that his or her share or shares

108

shall be paid unto him or her so attaining that age But

109

in case or either of them shall happen to dye before he

110

or she shall attain such age then his her or their Share

111

so dying shall be paid to and be equally divided amongst

112

the Survivor or Survivors of them share and share alike

113

In Witness thereof I the said Alice Siderfin the Testator

114

have to this my last Will and Testament set my hand

115

and Seal this twenty first day of April in the year of our

116

Lord one thousand seven hundred and sixty six Alice Siderfin

117

Signed Sealed published and declared by the above named

118

Alice Siderfin the Testatrix to be her last Will and

119

Testament in the presence of us who have subscribed our

120

names as Witnesses thereunto in her presence and in the

121

presence of each other of us Thos Leigh, Mary Leigh

122

Alexander Briant

123

This Will was proved at London on the thirtieth day

124

of September in the year of our Lord one thousand seven

125

hundred and sixty eight before the Knight worshipful George

126

Hay doctor of Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the

127

Prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by

128

the oath of John Short the sole Executor named in the said

129

will to whom Administration of al and singular the

130

Goods Chattels and Credits of the said deceased

131

was granted he having been first sworn by Commission

132

duly to administer Ex

 

No comments: