Thursday, March 2, 2023

Today's Bible Reading and Lent without borders

Interestingly or coincidentally, the Bible Reading and the  Lent without Borders email from Dr. Nahimana have a similar theme today. Perhaps in God's own time the two have come together to re-emphasize the love of God for his people. We are asked to reflect on how we are called to live a life of  righteousness. The life that I live and have lived for all of my retirement is providing my talent at transcription to anyone who wants to use it as an example. Transcribing the early records of the Church will make them available for people in the future so long as my blog exists and point out the secular value of the Church in the development of Homo sapiens through the centuries. Thank you again to Dr. Nahimana for today's Lent without borders. 

For me, yesterday proved to be a time of disappointment as I had great hopes for the peace proposal by China which has been used by Russia once again to murder the Ukrainian people as quickly as they are able in order to eliminate them from being able to vote in favour of their country remaining intact and not ripped apart by Nazi Psychopathic Russian aggression. Please China tell the Russians to withdraw; the Ukrainian people have a right to their freedom in all of Ukraine. If Ukraine stops fighting before Russia they will be destroyed; Russia must withdraw in order for a cease fire to work. Glory to Ukraine. Death to the Nazi Psychopathic Russian Invaders. 

A good time on research yesterday although reading through my latest newsletter I found a number of run on sentences and dangling participles. Must do better the next time. I obviously forgot to go back and check out some of my writing. But the overall content was good and I am in general pleased with it.

I spent part of the day reading through "The Parish of Selworthy in the County of Somerset: Some Notes on its history" by Frederick Hancock, M.A., S.C.L., F.S.A., Rector of the Parish and published by Barnicott and Pearce, Fore Street, 1897. A few new thoughts on the Siderfin family living there (and this is my Siderfin line) were available in the book. For instance a list of the 1745 rate charged in Selworthy Parish and Austin (likely Augustine) Syderfin is found at Tivington (5 kilometres west of Minehead) which is a hamlet in this parish with Selworthy the largest of the hamlets. I found it interesting that the Reverend Hancock mentions the Siderfin family on page 301: "Another old family connected with the parish is that of Siderfin. This family is probably an offshoot of the family of Siderfin of Croydon in the parish of Timberscombe, a family of some importance in our district in the seventeenth century." Although he is writing this is 1897, 250 years after Augustine was living in this area, it is an interesting statement to make. The family at Croydon is actually descendant of one of Robert Siderfin (William 2, John 1) sons namely Thomas whereas I am hoping to eventually prove that the family at Selworthy and Cutcombe was descendant of another son of this Robert Siderfin (William 2, John 1) namely Robert. The Chart which James Sanders created does not capture this son Robert's line very well. The other two sons (or their descendants) of Robert Siderfin (William 2, John 1) married into families in their social scale or above like the Worth family or became rather better known as Justice of the Peace and as members of the Middle Temple in London. So it will take a lot of meticulous work to really do a good job on developing the fifth generation of this family. The fourth generation is coming along although there is only one child named for Robert (Robert 3, William 2, John 1) but placing him at Wootton Courtney is interesting in this pursuit of the linking in the Fifth and Sixth Generations of this family. Finding the children in the Sixth Generation is my project at this time. I can readily find the path back in my own line into the 1600s. 

I also did work on the BMBs and link them to the census but I am missing some Siderfin census entries and will perhaps work at that today. I shall begin with the 1841 census. Although one generally does start with the closest census which would be 1921, I do have the BMBs entries plus I must make sure I have extracted all the Siderfin marriage entries on Free BMD so that I can pull out those records for the female Siderfin's marrying as this was a family that visited back and forth so that Siderfin members are found on these entries as well. 

On to the day and breakfast.

No comments: