I like the term "alliance for the future" and we will see how our parliament sees this as well. It is wonderful being a democracy and knowing that your thoughts have an input even if you are not the one necessarily publicly embracing that particular thought. I think closer ties with Europe is something we have been lacking partly because as a country we look back on the colonial period and see French and English but the number of European descent Canadians is now a very large number and it just seems fitting that we would have this "alliance for the future" as part of our being. The First Nations traveled to Europe to talk about trade and I wonder sometimes if this past year has been the first time. The First Nations are very actively involved in growing Canada. I think a lot about preservation and the need to control the environment so that it is there for our grandchildren and their descendants as does the First Nations but to get there we need money and what we have to sell will do it. We remain good neighbours and friends of the United States in spite of the trade war. I hate to call it a trade war but the name seems to be sticking. Grocery shopping all done and home again with my trusty magnifying glass I checked to make sure everything was made in Canada that can be. We are limited here with basically a growing season of six months and maybe seven months but it is wrapping up quickly. For a good part of the year if you want fresh it is imported and from the United States quite often. You can still buy fairly freshly picked carrots here but I am buying the fresh carrots now in their winter storage packets. That is the way it is in Canada but we grow lots of vegetable and will eat it now until spring. But there are moments when one sees fresh green onions or carrots or other vegetable and fruits and in the past we quickly snapped them up and savoured that taste of freshness mid winter.
Cleaning all accomplished and back to work and today I will be looking at the Latin documents for Pencombe in Herefordshire. I think a picture is gradually forming for this family in Herefordshire. Given the results of the yDNA testing one is sort of tugged towards the idea that this family likely arrived in eastern England following the exit of the Roman legions around 410 CE the movement from Europe to the eastern side of England began around 450 CE. Interestingly enough the Romans had recruited soldiers from the Germanic areas of Europe to help support the Roman occupation of Britain in the late 300s CE. This idea of a gradual entry from Europe into eastern Britain sounds more logical and hence one can not really predict when this family arrived and the path that they took across the midlands to Herefordshire. I need to have a look at the Domesday Book for Herefordshire which I will also do since I have a printed modern copy. The market town of Bromyard is closest to Pencombe and Bromyard is mentioned in the Domesday Book. Pencombe was mentioned as a manor in the hundred of Tornelaus. It consisted of 39 households with 21 villagers, 4 smallholders, 6 slaves, a priest, a smith and six other individuals plus 1 smith. Interestingly Alfred of Marlborough was the Lord and his daughter Agnes married Turstin of Wigmore. The name Turstin reminds me of the said father of Eustace de Pencombe in 1100+ son of Turstin Flandrensis de Pencombe. Wikitree names this Turstin as "the Fleming" from Wigmore and married to Agnes daughter of the Lord of Marlborough. This has however been disputed by descendants of the Lingen family and at a first read I suspect that this is just a common forename for the time.
But the possibility that Pencombe arrived in England much earlier around the time of the exit of the Roman legions is an interesting thought and will pretty much leave it at that as my interest is more in what happened to the de Pencombe family between 1100 and 1486 when John Pencombe arrives at North Molton with John Lord Zouch. John Lord Zouch was attainted and I am coming over to the idea that John Pencombe was simply assigned by the King to escort John Lord Zouch or to be part of the party that escorted him to his relatives at North Molton where he was to remain unless King Henry VII ordered otherwise. This is upheld by the records for John Lord Zouch who did eventually receive some of his property back as his expressions of loyalty to the crown were accepted and the attainment against him was dropped.
Next step in the process is to look at the Latin documents. It would be interesting to create a family line coming down from Turstin Flandrensis de Pencombe (I do wonder if the surname perhaps tells us part of the story and that is that Turstin may have been a recent emigrant (the early 1100s where he appears) rather than further back in time)). I will add to this as the day moves along.
21 Feb 1334 (A63/1/1/5) There is a reference to John de Pencomb through William his father refers to change in ownership. Continuing with the same date (A63/1/1/9) and John de Pencomb is providing surety. Continuing to look at records held by Herefordshire Archive and Records Centre (A63/1/1/28) dated 21 July 1429: The customary tenants present the default of Magote Drayton and Katherine Pencombe They are in mercy and are pardoned by the steward because they are weak and infirm. .............
and another 29 Nov 1339 (C 241/117/38) Debtor: John de Pencombe of Bromyard [Herefords.], citizen of Herefords.
I am still looking for a John Pencombe between 1450 and 1486 in Herefordshire. John Pencombe remains in North Molton after 1486 and I do not find any records in particularly in Herefordshire after 1429. I am tempted to simply record what I have found in Hereford and note the similarity in the forenames but begin the genealogical chart with John Pencombe and his sons John, William, and Thomas. He is likely married to Alice (unknown). as she is a widow living at North Molton but no actual proof for that particular item.
Just a small amount of the lawn to finish cutting tomorrow. I will also wash up all the tools and the hose and put all of that away. Gradually clearing out the garage ready to put the car in. Once winter really arrives I only go out once a week for groceries using the car so that works very well for me and I have the company again to clear the laneway. I will still clear the porch and patio as it is good exercise and the fresh air is good for me. Plus I still have a lot of ice remover if that happens so might as well get all used up before I move.
That was interesting looking at the documents in Herefordshire. The yDNA does point to the area of Europe where Flanders is but is a pretty general one still as it also includes France and Germany as ancestral areas for the haplogroup that has produced this haplogroup.
I did manage a 15 minute run and then a 15 minute walk today as well. A lovely day actually as the sun came in and out but the temperature stayed in the low 20s so very comfortable.
Time to make dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment