▼

Monday, October 5, 2026

A quiet day

Church was lovely and I do so love that organ music. Mind you a lot of churches online have organ music but this one I attended with Edward in our "empty nest" period of time which was actually not empty until our eldest went off to do her PhD after working in industry (an American company actually) for about five years. It was a great addition to her already excellent CV and work activity. Then our youngest was busy with university and then medical school and along the way getting married and having children although sadly they did leave us and move out on their own. But that is the way of life for sure. 

 But I digress from Church and the sermon was quite interesting as I love hearing the meshing of Old Testament and New Testament and how the Christian religion developed and grew. Mind you he did not use all those words but overall his sermons are very educational and there is nothing I enjoy more than learning for sure. A day gone by without learning is a lost day I used to tell my children and so at two and three they were busy learning to read and working with numbers, printing and having fun too with it. Ready for school far too early for the system but I think it is catching up. The school can not be everything to a child; it is a learning centre with learning and ethics top of the list from the earliest days as it should be. Every child matters; the First Nations are so right about that. 

 Not too much done in terms of work as I planned for a quiet day for the most part. The only time I went outside was to shake out the toaster crumbs onto the grass for the birds. There wasn't very much. 

I continued contemplating the first three generations as I gather up everything that I have to create this family tree along with the tree created by the two earlier researchers. This tree is Chart 1 and does not have any acknowledgements so likely it was put together using the Visitations and perhaps some knowledge of family lines coming down. I am bothered most by Thomas being given a date of birth in 1481 as he was a worker on the Devon Lay subsidy in 1524-27 since he received wages and he was listed right next to his likely father on the subsidy. That would make him 43 years of age and the son listed to him William is given a year of birth of 1506 and this individual wrote his will in 1602 and it was probated by 1605. This will listed all of his children and they do not match the children on the chart. William's will was probated by the Prerogative Court of Canterbury and there were undoubtedly lots of problems having access especially during war years and the researchers did not live in the London area. On the other hand John Pyncombe in South Molton is not given a year of birth but his son John is given 1501 as that year of birth but Christopher his other son is not given an age but is on the Devon Lay subsidy with Goods of 5 and his father John Pencome with Goods of 10. My suspicion is that this record was perhaps seen by the creators of this table and gave John that age thinking he was at least 21 years of age but the large loss of life ended up with new laws on how to deal with underaged inheritors and they were listed at any age. So just a couple of items at the beginning that I found difficult to resolve with the parish registers where they exist and especially the tax records. Just wanted to explain that to anyone who has the Charts since I put them into the Newsletter a while ago. 

Today is cleaning day and I will be doing the top floor. Starting soon. Solitaire puzzles done in the night as I continue with a runaway mind because I am thinking too much. But soon will be resolved. I am that kind of a person who must think everything through; search out the documents if they exist and I can purchase them and then move forward once again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment