Monday, October 5, 2026

Doing a bit of contemplation

Working on the second generation at North Molton and quite quickly we have John, the likely eldest son of John Pencombe in South Molton married to Emma (need to find this) with two sons John and Christopher. Since Christopher has property on the 1624-7 Devon Lay Subsidy I suspect he is the oldest although the only death I find is Mar 1623 at South Molton. There is a Christopher Pyncombe on the 1624-7 Devon Lay Subsidy with G5 at South Molton. He could have inherited this property when he was born but that is still a pretty long life of 100 years plus. The registers for South Molton do not begin until 1601. At some point I acquired the date of 1575 for the burial of Christopher and I will have to see why I have that; at the beginning I was not always as careful to record where I found things although I quickly learned but again I am going back a long way looking at some of these items as I pursue the Second Generation of the Pencombe family. Interesting though that there is another Christopher Pyncombe at South Molton perhaps as not listed on the Visitation of Devon 1620. Often a lot of people can be missed on these Visitations. In particular this one has Richard and John (brothers of this William) as executors but reading my transcription it is his wife that will be executrix and his two oldest sons William and John are to assist with the will execution. One does have to be careful to check all the data. My Richard is mentioned along with his son William and I do think that he doesn't say where anyone is and at this point Richard is in Bishops Nympton. This will take a while as some times the Parish Registers have not yet begun or were lost and finding those tiny bits that let you recreate takes time. I did find them years ago but sometimes I  need to find them again! 

I have now vacuumed everything and it is time to dust. Then the bathroom to scrub and the day of cleaning is complete. I have still not used my antibiotic and it is actually feeling fine. The worst part was the drainage as I do not believe I have ever in my recall experienced a puncture wound. The draining was quite exceptional and one could feel it as it pushed out through the scab opening. A good one to avoid I think perhaps. But as always I recommend going to a doctor to be looked at; they are the experts.  

All fascinating really how health care works. I was contemplating how much I pay for health care as a tax paying citizen and how seldom I actually have needed to go which has been lucky for me just one visit a  year since my daughter said at my age (I think I was around 75) I really should (and I now have had two visits this year)  sees me paying a portion of my taxes (I assume that I pay the usual 24% to 25% as a family (even though I am just one person)) and my private health coverage ($2200)) so I estimate that I pay around $5000 per year but eventually I may cost the system money no ideas on that although I suspect I will die in my sleep at some point because I have sleep apnea. I have been in a hospital three times (2 pregnancies (seven days (difficult birth) and two days), one breakdown and I was on the Psychiatric Ward for 14 days (you do everything for yourself on this ward except food is provided in a cafeteria which you go and get so perhaps the cheapest ward to run no ideas on that) and the total number of days is 24 hospitalized in my lifetime plus I was born in a hospital but my mother came home quite soon actually (I think she said three days, forgot about that)). Some of the wards are very expensive to run and have far more people working in them.  I have now used five full days of my antibiotic and the redness is gone, the drainage stopped a couple of days ago and the wound is healed although I will have a scar (a tiny one) and I begin to wonder if I was bitten by an insect perhaps no ideas on that but the mark is so small. I really do not remember hitting my face with the branch but it was sort of a difficult couple of minutes as I pulled it off the fence where it was stuck and down from the tree where it was hanging and I could have missed noticing that. I did see it out the window for maybe a week before I tackled it. I think there might be a bit of nerve damage but it appears to be correcting itself.  The redness is all gone and my prescription doesn't say when to stop using it but my daughter (who has not seen me as she is 65 kilometres away) kindly told me that 5 - 7 days is common so this is day 6 (I must figure out  how to call the office I go to). I must say the antibiotic was very efficient. Chemically speaking though in another 23 days it is useless so really we should go back to packaging it in smaller quantities like the druggists of old (mind you that doesn't save the medical system money but does make a lot of money for pharmaceuticals). It is difficult to guage how much will need to be used so the common packaging is probably cheaper than having to measure it out constantly and protecting the product from contamination is very important so one has to take the down sides with the upsides (and the business case is made for larger packaging). Two weeks though on a psych ward was more than enough medical care to last me for a lifetime to be honest. I never like being a patient if I can help it and I will not move another downed branch over one metre long. It surely is time to move and maybe I will be lucky and it will be sooner rather than later. If it ever happens again I will remember to ask when one stops the medication. The tube is very large and you can hardly see that I used any. Never thought of it at the time; getting old for sure. Thank you to my daughter for helping me out.  We need to have a good medical system for all (I firmly believe in that); I worked in the hospital for more than 12 years of my working life and I do place a high value on our medical care system. I do not especially want to see children needing care; we are better than that for sure. I willingly pay all that is asked for my taxes and for my extra coverage. Personally I probably would never go except when I absolutely need care but I do not like to make my children stressed worrying and so I go once a year (or if I have an accident). It seems to work well. I have blood work to do and will eventually get there. Since I know some of the items in my family history I am not going to rush for sure; I remember my uncle needed these blood product transfusions the last maybe five years of his life and I am suspicious that I will end up that way. We will see. But he had them transfused in his house. Perhaps it is even easier now to acquire such items everything is so portable these days. 

Must accomplish more cleaning and than back to writing. I have a lot to do and must try to get to it all. My uncle though was 89 when he passed and still quite capable right up to the last few days.  

Dusting all done and just the bathroom to scrub. Dinner is chicken stew (my favourite by far and four days in a row is great) and I need to make my banana bread because I just have one piece left. That keeps my weight fairly stable because I do have this tendency to forget to eat on occasion. 

I actually found a will for a Simon Pincombe that I downloaded back in 2010 at Kew. I randomly picked some wills and that was one of them but I have never transcribed it. I might do that as it looks interesting but not the Symon (son of William mentioned above) who was gone from England in 1602 and I still haven't pulled up that blog discussing the person who wrote me from Sweden and had traced back and discovered a non-Swedish ancestor and also we matched on atDNA as did my siblings who are a much better match to Pincombe than I am. But there are a couple of lengths that we all share; all of us third cousins and fourth cousins and it goes on. 

I think I will spend a bit more time on Christopher to see what I can learn. He had a son John and this family is by family lore mentioned as some of them moving to the Barnstaple area where we do find Pincombe. It is linking them all together and the Barnstaple Parish Registers are quite good so will get into that. Having the path all the way back for my line is very helpful. I know where the bottlenecks are (i.e. only one descendant in a generation).  William's huge family (he was principally at East Buckland) really set up the Pincombe family for a large expansion as the two eldest pretty much inherited everything so the younger sons had to be inventive to get ahead and they were pretty much. Peter and Lewes, the youngest two, though I know virtually nothing about them but will try to discover what I can. 

 

No comments: