Thursday, October 1, 2026

National Day of Truth and Reconciliation 2026

 I watched some of the National Day of Truth and Reconciliation 2026. It continues to be sad that so many children suffered. I am glad that we have a special day for particularly the survivors to tell us the truth of what happened to them in the boarding schools. The First Nations are such an integral part of Canada; they welcomed many to their lands and helped them very often. We need to be helpers in return when it is possible for us to do so. 

 My error two days ago has set my mind forward thinking about Richard at Bishops Nympton. In the will of his father he is lumped together with two of his brothers Symon and Thomas and the property at Over Molland Sarazin assigned to them in its entirety. Symon is away from England and his father hopes he returns. I can remember when I first learned this from the will and blogged it and not long after I had an autosomal DNA match with someone in Sweden. My that is long ago but I will probably find it in my blog. This individual carried a small amount of a common Pincombe length so was rather interesting given that I knew that Symon had left England and gone somewhere. Although I am convinced this Richard is the first of my Pincombe to be at Bishops Nympton I do wonder why his father doesn't mention that. 

One of the problems with the earlier wills was that anything that had already been given was not always mentioned. He does however mention that Richard has a son William which we know is true of the Richard Pincombe at Bishops Nympton (William was baptized 23 Mar 1599 at Bishops Nympton). William's mother Anne was buried 3 May 1600 at Bishops Nympton and his sister Anne was buried 3 Mar 1598 at Bishops Nympton). So this is old style and William was baptized 23 Mar 1599/1600 and his mother died/buried 41 days later. This William writes his will after the marriage of Richard Pincombe and Francis Gill at Bishops Nympton 6 Nov 1601 but does  not mention that. William's will (father of Richard) is dated 20 Dec 1602 although not probated until 13 Jul 1605. 

There are only two sons who had sons who survived as the descendants of John Pencombe who came to North Molton in 1486 so descent can only be from one of these two sons. I assigned one of the yDNA matches to the South Molton branch  (his ancestor (?x grandmother changed her surname and that of her children back to Coates her maiden name). This individual had knowledge of his male Pincombe line that was at Barnstaple and the family lore for South Molton has descendants of the John Pincombe who lived there (eldest son of John Pencombe) moving to the Barnstaple area. This match does carry the anticipated yDNA (y-700) result that matches our known cousin (descendant of Robert Pincombe). 

There is also a will of a William Pyncombe probated 12 Mar 1642 and blogged by me:

https://kippeeb.blogspot.com/2011/10/will-of-william-pincombe-of-molland.html

This William lived at Molland. His appointments of overseers/Rulers are interesting - Thomas Pyncombe my Uncle, John Pyncombe my brother, John Pyncombe of Nymptom Epi and William Pyncombe of Filleigh. The John Pyncombe at Bishops Nympton is the half brother of William at Filleigh  (both sons of Richard I believe). This always left me with the impression that Thomas had been the owner of Over Molland Sarazin with Richard and Symon elsewhere if Symon returned to England (I never find a record for him). So this William is a nephew of Richard as well as Thomas  in this time period. This William is deceased by 12 Mar 1642 when probate is submitted. Richard was buried 31 Jan 1648 at Bishops Nympton. It seemed practical at the time and I didn't question it but he is outliving his elder brothers by 20 plus years and a nephew. Is that reasonable? 

I appear to have moved on from searching the old material to see if I can determine in what capacity John Pencombe came to North Molton in 1486. I believe I have looked at everything I have collected and now the Early Chancery Proceedings does not lead to anything yet. I am perhaps five or six years into the reign of Henry VII now. I will have to make a decision tomorrow on whether to return to that slow digging through the records or back to creating the genealogical tree coming down John Pencombe and I will be moving back from my grandfather John Routledge Pincombe at the same time. I have a lot of material that I have not thought about or looked at for many years. I will do it coming down and going back because I need to knit together some of the families in the past that I alluded to but did not necessarily add into the Legacy file. Doing it that way will show me more alternatives and places where I should have a question before making a final decision. 

In a way my mistake was good because I realized that I didn't really look at it but jumped to a conclusion which I noted later and corrected. Probably was my wound to the face or I am getting old.

My puncture wound is healing and it is amazing I never felt it really except if I think about it I may have but was busy trying to manage that huge length of wood and drag it up to the back of the house where it sits until it gets chopped up by one of my people one of these days.  The doctor advised an antibiotic cream and I picked up my blood work that we had talked about  my doing later in the year so saves another appointment. Doctors are really busy. 

 My four times great grandfather John Pincombe's will was lost in the bombing of the Exeter Archives. As it turned out Dr. Richard Pinkham transcribed these wills in the 1930s (a lot of them, I think I found about fourteen of them at the Society of Genealogists in London, England when we visited there one time). 

Dr. Richard Pinkham's transcription reads: 

Principal Registry Exeter

John Pincombe of Bishop's Nympton. yeoman.

Will date 14 June 1794. To my wife Mary [(Charly) Pincombe] 200 pounds and goods. To my son John P. an estate called Lambescombe in North Molton on condition he pays his two sisters 20 pounds each in five years [one sister deceased before probate]. To my son Robert Pincombe 80 pounds when he is 21 and 5 pounds yearly until then. To my two sons William and Robert Pincombe half each of the copyhold estate called West Woods in Bishops Nympton when they are 21 [this is close to Park where Robert lived]. To my son Thomas 300 pounds when he is 21 and 5 pounds a year until then. To my daughter Grace Pincombe 110 pounds. Residue to my son William Executor. Witnesses W Bowden, Grace Down Seal a stag.

Proved 7 May 1795 by William Pincombe Exor.

From this will I made a few assumptions; William (second son) inherited Park and East Woods and partial West Woods (possibly because John (eldest son) had a natural daughter and never married). Mary (older daughter) is not mentioned she married George Zeale 20 May 1794 and died possibly in childbirth 28 Mar 1795. Grace did not marry until 14 Apr 1806 (Richard Headdon). Robert and Thomas were the youngest sons. Robert had received partial West Woods already so less money than Thomas perhaps. No property mentioned for Thomas. Robert's will does help with that as his property was by copyhold which meant his brothers were involved with that and the will of John does point to that. 

We are proven back to John Pincombe (will proved 7 May 1795) by yDNA with a descendant of William (living in Australia), older brother to Robert. The further proof of the y-700 test gives five testers with the same result hence all descendant of John Pencombe who arrived at North Molton in 1486. This is reminding me that I need to pull all of the Pincombe records out of Find My Past. There are 50,000 about although I have many of them already in the trees but I do not have fiche for all of the parishes so will have to do that starting next once I have moved on from John Pencombe and why the family found it so significant that he arrived at North Molton with John Lord Zouch. The significance may lie in there already having been Pencombes in Devon which is mentioned at Bonelegh (Bondleigh) and Molland in the early 1300s at Bondleigh and on the Lay Subsidy of 1332 at Molland. So this John Pencombe of Northmolton came with Lord Zouch at the beginning of the reign of Henry VII. This was a suggestion of the AI as we discussed that the last time that that may have been the intent of writing "Pyncombe of Northmolton." I did find it interesting how quickly the movement away from the Pencombe spelling was actually. 

Have I proven it? Did I answer my question of whether or not John Pencombe was already at Northmolton in 1486?  Perhaps I will see what the AI thinks of any additional information that I will add to what I have already given it to look at this query.  I now believe that John Pencombe arrived with John Lord Zouch but I do not understand the circumstance. Since John Lord Zouch survived the Battle of Bosworth Field and was able to get to North Molton I am still not entirely sure whether John Pencombe was his escort to ensure he went to North Molton or one of his retinue and they managed to escape to North Molton. That may never be solved as I have found no mention in the Early Chancery Proceedings and only one reference to Pincombe in the Calendar of Patent Rolls. Since John Pencombe and all three of his sons have property though on the 1524-7 Devon Lay Subsidy I am tempted to think that he served more as an escort but will leave that for history to solve - likely there are more documents to read from that time period.

Thank you God for another beautiful day on your world. Today the decision on the twinning of the Trans Mountain Pipeline. We will be careful with your world and take all the precautions that we can but oil will keep us afloat for a bit whilst we grow the other industries that were lost. Peace must come to our world but as I read the Bible I am not seeing peace at all really. I must finish Job and move on to the Psalms. The Psalms are some of my very favourite writings in the Old Testament.  

 

 


No comments: