Thursday, May 23, 2019

Living DNA

When I purchased the two kits for Living DNA (one for my older brother and one for myself), I only hoped to achieve a look at our results against a study of British DNA. I was and am very pleased with those results which have not changed in the years since we first tested. I am hopeful that the new initiative that Find My Past is undertaking with tree matching on their site is part of Living DNAs effort to do matching within the DNA projects that they have completed plus what has been uploaded to their site. Breaking into a new field is always difficult and going slow is better than being haphazard. There are lots of matching databases these days and we can only benefit from being patient and waiting to see what can come out of Living DNAs new initiative with regard to matching.

I wish them every success in their venture especially given that all of my known relatives were born, married and died in England with just a few of my ancestors being born and/or marrying/dying in Canada - my father and his parents, my mother (Canadian born), my maternal grandparents (Canadian born), my maternal grandfather's parents and my maternal grandfather's mother's parents. All the rest were born in, lived their entire life in and died in five different areas of England. I have just one Canadian line in terms of being born here (including myself) - my mother, her father and his mother.

I have uploaded the results for two of my other siblings to Living DNA and we are a matching block in their beta tree. I would be quite surprised to have matches at this stage of their matching as we do not have any first cousins, none of my second cousins have tested and any of my third cousins who have tested have not done so at Living DNA to my knowledge.

My husband also tested at Living DNA and does have a match with a known fourth cousin in his beta tree.

Patience will bring interesting results I am convinced of that.

No comments: