Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Getting ready for Christmas

A small Christmas this year but hopefully next year we can all be together again.  In a way this mucky weather; winter and then thaw, leads us to a less significant Christmas and time will pass and we will forget this long year. To be honest, the year has passed quickly for me. I have enjoyed the hours and hours of solitude. I am sorry that my husband has been in hospital twice but he is getting stronger once again. We are having fabulous meals all cooked from basic ingredients so that we know exactly how much salt is going into my husband's food. It has been interesting reaching back in time and memory as I recall that my grandmother made her pound cakes with yeast not baking power and so I have done the same. It is a very tasty pound cake actually and I highly recommend it. I love a slice of pound cake with butter just as my grandmother used to eat her pound cake (a thin slice lightly buttered!). I liked that as a child and it is by far my favourite cake. I do not like iced cakes that much; they are just too sweet. 

We put up our small wooden tree that we brought back from Germany on one of our European trips. It stands about 30 centimetres high and has four angles that fit together and are then decorated with interesting little handmade decorations. We love that little tree and it is fitting on our small Christmas that we would set this tree up. It reminds us of our trip through Germany, Switzerland, Italy and France a decade ago. It was a fabulous trip and we enjoyed every minute. We were perhaps one of the oldest couples on that trip and a young family was the youngest (a couple with their eight year old daughter). Most of the people were younger and the pace was quicker but we were also younger and did keep up very well. 

Back to getting ready for Christmas.

No comments: