Sunday, June 12, 2022

Searching the databases for subsidies

Working with the National Archives website and looking at E179 Database which has a search tool I find that there are  16 sets of data but none of the complete documents are published online thus far that I have looked at. The dates for these subsides for Over Stowey range from 1523 to 1546 which is an interesting time during the elusive Humphrey Blake's lifetime. 

Reading through the Edward III Subsidy I did find two examples:

Hundred             Parish
Kingsbury           Bishops Lydeard
Cannington          Over Stowey
Petherton           Bridgwater
         

North Pethertone/Northpethertone hundred
Margeria de Blakemor iij shillings

Porlok/Carhamton Hundred
Waltero de Blakedon x pence

Looking at the Emigrants Database from 1330 to 1550 to England I did not find any specific Somerset entries but there are a number of entries for Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Devon (all counties surrounding Somerset). These Blake individuals are arriving in the 1400s for the most part so quite interesting to the query. 

I will continue to review the search tool in the E179 Database. I do not see myself at Kew in the next couple of years though so will leave this interesting angle to others interested in Blake.

I did find some of these records  available on film at the Family History Library so will investigate that idea as I could go to the local Family History Library perhaps over the next few weeks.   There is a long list available and I will search out possibilities for Somerset.     

A Calendar of the Close Rolls for Edward I (1288-1296) (published 1904 by the Deputy Keeper of the Records (Public Record Office))are available on line in book format and I did a search on Blake: one item for Ralph le Blake and Robert le Blake 8 May 1293 but concerns Dorset and along with a number of people they were outlawed because of a trespass at Amiens.  A second item for William le Blake acknowledging a debt which he will pay and he lived in Hereford 28 Jun 1289. Certainly these two items are interesting and show the presence of Blake in England in these early years but not helpful in this case. 



No comments: