Monday, December 31, 2018

Chromosome 23

Still I am perplexed by Chromosome 23 and how to divide up the maternal portion I inherited from my mother. I have two known matches by 4th cousins but the length is really insufficient to say positively that I have phased this Chromosome 23 correctly between my two maternal grandparents lines - Pincombe and Buller. I have one match on my Routledge line (my great grandmother Grace Gray married William Robert Pincombe and this match descends from a sister of Grace's mother Elizabeth Mary Ann Routledge). I have one match on my Welch line and in this case the descent is from the twin sister of my 2x great grandmother Anne Welch who married Henry Christopher Buller. The amount shared is 10cM for the Routledge match and 8 cM for the Welch match. Fortunately they do not fall in the same area but they confuse a phased X chromosome which I produced prior to knowledge of these two matches. Do I go with the matches or do I go with the carefully thought through phasing that I did before the matches appeared? I am ambivalent. I wish I could find one of my known 2nd cousin Buller as their grandmother was my grandmother's sister. Likely we will share some X chromosome enough to convince me one way or another on how we have inherited our X chromosome from our mother. The paternal X chromosome is, of course, easy as that is inherited entirely from my father who received it unchanged from his mother and it was inherited by her from her parents - William Rawlins and Elizabeth (Lywood) Rawlins.

I have a new match on Ancestry lately which is also descendant of my Buller side likely back to my 2x great grandmother Anne Welch. It would be interesting to see if this individual has an X chromosome match with me. However, I have not yet written but will contemplate doing that to see if it interests him to pursue the match. It is a large match. Another similar match at 23 and Me is likely Welch-Buller with a 1.2% match and in this case the chromosomes have not been shared. I did write to this individual and verified our descent from the Welch family as being our most recent common ancestor. Perhaps over time she may share her chromosome results and again a strong possibility that there would be X chromosome results of a length sufficient to name the phased portions of the X chromosome with more accuracy.

No comments: