Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Blake Newsletter

I am in the process of thinking about the next issue of the Blake Newsletter. I think I need to write a short section once again on the errors in Blake research. Perhaps it will result in fewer emails! Although Blake is not ranked with the most common surnames like Smith and Jones it does have a lot of publications (and many of them are quite good) to assist researchers. Perhaps the most meaningful thought that I can pass on as a result of these last eight years I have spent on the Blake one-name Study concerns the Blake families of America (the United States). As a Canadian I am not the least bit offended by Americans using that very term to describe themselves; they have been referred to as Americans for a very long time. We are all North Americans and when I allude to my place of origin I tend to say North America and follow it up with Canada. But I digress, I tend to think, although it is always possible for particular lines, that there is not just one Blake founder in the United States and he being related to Lord Robert Blake, High Admiral during the Commonwealth in the British Isles. Certainly there are quite a few in the United States that are descendant of the Blake family in Ireland and judging by the number of haplogroups in the yDNA study these two particular families are not related in thousands of years!

I shall eventually get around to responding to some emails regarding Blake family ancestry. Having two active one-name studies, both of which are somewhat controversial, does limit the speed at which I reply. I prefer to give a good long reply that answers the question. If you do not hear back from me please do send me another email to remind me that I am still owing you a reply.

I see my mailbox is now at 1400 emails and I shall have to take a week and whittle that down into the subfolders where I store my received emails. At the same time I will reply to any emails not yet replied to. There are not actually that many and all of them have come through my personal email.

.

No comments: