Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Understanding Autism

My forays into genealogical research began initially in 2003 as my cousin needed me to write a profile on my Pincombe family who were living in Westminster Township, Middlesex County, Ontario and came to Canada in 1851 from Molland Bishops Nympton, Devon, England. Fourty two courses at the National Institute for Genealogical Studies, my completed profile on the Pincombe family for the Delaware/Westminster History Book and I was off on the genealogical pursuit of my ancestors. Little did I know at that time that my concurrent interest in DNA would eventually lead me towards a different sort of interest that is more and more thought to be hidden in our genes.

Autism is perhaps the least understood of clinical diagnoses that involve the development of children's abilities. As I searched through the literature and began to understand more about the genetic implications of autism, my focus on genetic genealogy was rapidly changing. I became much more interested in genetics for its window into genes.

I ran my DNA kits on Promethease and discovered that there are quite a few genes now felt to play a role in autism both good and not so good. The key to all of this is of course research and finding the money to do that research. I must admit that I am becoming more and more conscious of the need for funding to better understand autism and the educational needs of autistic children. For myself, the genes that I carry that point to autism are complimented by other genes that give me the ability to fine tune my concentration which is likely why I did end up in science in university. Interesting that before I married I was considering going into medicine. I was keenly interested in children's neurological problems. At 74, I feel that I can perhaps still assist in medical research. I just need to find a process where I can help.

The next steps in my thought process are how I can make a difference in autism research. Does standing beside a donation box in a store help in that regard or is it better to use my new training in Patient Oriented Research and start to appeal for more funding from the federal level to assist the one in 66 children who are being diagnosed with autism?

My interest in genealogy continues but I am gradually moving away from some of the research. I have written numerous times about the errors made in Blake family research but I do continue to receive several times a month emails repeating all the errors. I am finding that I tire of attempting to correct these errors. The desire to be connected to someone famous is too strong unfortunately. Strange I do not share that; I prefer the ancestors that I have whomever they are!

No comments: