Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Back into Stage 3

We return to Stage 3 of the COVID-19 levels on the 7th of November. Only 25 new cases yesterday in Ottawa.  Certainly this is not defeated; we must learn to manage it until the vaccines are available sometime next summer. Hopefully the vaccines will lessen a third wave of COVID-19. 

I started a Bible Study two weeks ago today and the first two weeks have been interesting with four more weeks to go (every Wednesday). Why a Bible Study at this time of year? Why not? I had not heard of the book and yet it copies my thoughts but in a much more thorough and succinct way. Perhaps one of the most profound thoughts that I had was that the Church is no longer walking in lock step with the government. I respect our government very much but handing the Residential Schools to the Churches to manage was the worst thing that we ever took on. Managed properly, it might have given a good education to the children. In reality children were abused; their beliefs and traditions scorned and they were not properly taken care of when they were ill. 

I had a good thought on all of this. Let us give them, once completed, the pipeline. They would manage it very well and they have a 50 year plan for how to move us from dependence on oil to green energy. The oil will always be useful and perhaps in years to come we will see plastic houses that are substantial and require less maintenance and last longer. Let us make better use of this priceless resource instead of burning it up in cars. And yes, I also drive a car that uses gas. When I was filling it up yesterday I thought how wonderful it would be to just plug your car in. It was the first time that I had filled a car in probably twenty years plus. Once I went to work at the Hospital I took the bus; my driving to work days were done. When I got to the pump I wasn't close enough so had to move. Then I had chosen a pump where I couldn't pay there but had to go into the store to pay. The what ifs filled my brain as I filled the gas tank which took me a moment to unlock and then to remember to select the grade of gasoline since nothing came out of the hose. Quick study and I was there but it did give me time to think about how much better usage of oil there is really than burning it up in cars and polluting the environment. Lego for one; this marvelous toy needs to be there for many generations of children to come. The inventiveness of children with a box of miscellaneous lego is something to behold. 

This weeks chapter for the Bible study discusses Migration of Christian Beliefs but it is so much more than that. In a way it is a return to "What Would Jesus Do" which has become the fundamental of my beliefs. Although I am an Anglican and I love the traditional service perhaps because for 75 years I have mostly used that service and it reminds me of my grandparents with their thees and thous, I am devoted to that Traditional Service. But I refused to be on any Worship Committee because my way isn't the way of the future; it is just my way. The way of the future is to follow "What Would Jesus Do." This week's chapter did not fail me in that regard. I look forward to this evening's Online Bible Study.

No comments: