Thursday, May 5, 2022

A very productive day yesterday

 I had planned a day of cleaning and working in some DNA extraction as well. On both items I managed to get quite a bit done. All of the vacuuming that I had planned to do and some dusting of baseboards that lie hidden behind couches and things which I move to vacuum. Needless to say I do not do all of my exercise as well just my running and walking!

The DNA extraction for My Heritage was begun and it is going to be slow going. I worked on one of my siblings accounts and went from the highest match downwards only reaching 42 cM after working all day and adding perhaps ten new matches and deleting perhaps eight from the list leaving me with about 44 to check out in that account. I decided to just read my way through the matches from highest matches down and that worked very well. Perhaps I will carry on with that process today as I do the scrubbing. I generally do three days of cleaning. 

I also listened to the Leeds method of DNA extraction which was most interesting. I did try it a couple of years ago and got the expected result but I had never really gone beyond looking at the 2nd and 3rd cousin so this time I added my 452 matches from Ancestry to an Excel file and worked my way down. I have done about 50 matches thus far and have just three added colours where the ancestral line is know to me but the actual MRCA I have not yet really looked at. It is interesting to do that. A number of the people who have tested at Ancestry have taken their results into FT DNA or My Heritage. All in all an interesting day; DNA is the main driver of my interest in family research both in my one name studies of Blake and Pincombe and my personal family studies. 

The H11 is sitting waiting for the end of the war which Russia illegally is waging again the Ukraine; its neighbour and cousin. I find that I do not want to write anything about it until all of this is over and hopefully soon. History will condemn Russia and her people if they do not soon stop. Much of the world continues to condemn Russia but as always there are people/countries who will sell to anyone just to make money. Respect for borders and people is much more important than making money illicitly and one hopes that in the long run they will also suffer for their failure to bring Russia to account for their illegal war. The punishment will surely be a return of the Crimea to Ukraine along with all the other territory under question. If Russians placed in the Ukraine during the Soviet era do not like it then they have the option of going back to Russia and living with those murders.

No comments: