Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Working on the matches gained from the Clusters at My Heritage

Looking at the matches in AutoClusters (I have five sets for five siblings) and entering them into my databases and DNA Painter kept me busy yesterday. A couple of exciting new ones that I was finally able to really locate in the Buller line. This is a huge family in the present due to twin sisters (my 2x great grandmother Anne Welch married Henry Christopher Buller in 1838) and each of the sisters had very large families (12 children each) and an enormous number of grandchildren etc etc.  In my dataset divided into Blake, Buller, Pincombe, Rawlings, and Unknown I have 950 matches (there are extra matches on some of these particular files due to siblings/children to whom I haven't given an individual file) plus the 90 matches still to enter. There are 282 Blake files, 215 Buller files, 237 Pincombe files, 199 Rawlings files and 17 Unknown. 

Within the Blake files I have a large Blake family in the Andover Hampshire (many from Upper Clatford, Hampshire where my grandfather Blake was born) although they have spread across towards London and many reside in London and around the world for that matter) as well as the Knight/Ellis/Arnold/Butt from the Winterbourne Valley area in Dorset  (my grandfather's mother was born at Turnworth, Dorset) families which were also large and many have tested. 

The Buller files do tend to be descendants of this Buller-Wellch twin sisters with their large families although there are other matches going back into Leicestershire, Staffordshire and Shropshire with the impact of twin sisters sending me back slightly further because of the stronger shared matches between third cousins illuminating those family lines. 

The Pincombe files generally refer to the descendants of William Pincombe and Johane Blackmore who married 17 Jun 1685 at Bishops Nympton, Devon but also include the Rew/Siderfin family of Selworthy, Somerset (marriage of John Pincombe and Elizabeth Rew 9 Jan 1834 at Bishops Nympton, Devon), The Rowcliffe family of South Molton (Robert Pincombe married Elizabeth Rowcliffe 7 Jun 1803 at Bishops Nympton, Devon). There are a surprising number of matches that share common ancestry in the 1700s for this Pincombe family. Also included are the descendants of the Gray-Routledge marriage in the 1830s (Robert Gray married Elizabeth Mary Ann Routledge (record missing but likely 1833-34 in London, Upper Canada) bringing together two old families with the Routledge (Bewcastle, Cumberland) being particularly interesting (Thomas Routledge married Elizabeth Routledge 23 Jun 1785 at Bewcastle (2nd cousins once removed) because it is the so-called Oakshaw Routledge family that tended to marry cousins back in the 1400s to 1800s resulting in some large matches that stretch back rather further in time than one might think (some into the 1700s). The Gray side coming from Etton/Holme on the Wolds/Cherry Burton in the East Riding of Yorkshire also having some interesting matches (Robert Gray married Elizabeth Cobb 13 Jan 1806 at Lund, ERY).  

The Rawlings family, of course, includes my great grandmother Elizabeth Rawlings lines (my grandmother was raised by her mother and her step-father (whom she adored)) but also the possible father to my paternal grandmother George Cotterill who lived at Kimpton where my Rawlings family was at that time (my grandmother was named/baptized Ada Bessie Cotterill Rawlings) so a number of these matches placed in the Rawlings section would be from her father's line (either George Cotterill or another person; I have not yet found anything to prove that particular relationship other than coincidence). 

The unknown is small in number surprisingly but DNA Painter has been a great help in finding most of the unknowns a home in my files other than unknown. 

Today is my fifth COVID shot day and will get that done later. So far I have been very lucky not to have taken ill with COVID. Will see how that continues; I had my flu shot a couple of weeks ago and have not suffered from that either in many many years. 

On to breakfast and the day. It is a cloudy rainy looking day here. Typical of the time between the sunny days of the fall and the snowy days of winter.

No comments: