Thursday, April 27, 2023

FreeBMD births and deaths completed

Continuing to move through the Siderfin data that is available online with the births and deaths completed on FreeBMD. When I was first into surname studies I discovered FreeBMD and they were looking for volunteers (probably still are) so I decided to put my new course in paleography to  work and transcribed for them for several years actually until Edward took ill the first time back in 2010. At that point in time my entire life changed as I became the driver of the car - now Edward did not like my driving at least he said he didn't! Mostly I think he only trusted himself behind the wheel of the car although when he was tired enough he would ask me to drive but now I was the driver. That was perhaps the longest year of my life as he did like to go out every day shopping and usually twice a day - morning and afternoon. No matter how long I have stayed home I have never become a shopper. I loath the occupation and get it over as quickly as possible although Edward and my children did manage to get me to dwell longer than anyone over that task. I simply can not get up enthusiasm for twenty different kinds of something. If I like the look of it I buy it and otherwise I leave it. Consequently I own very few things although now with everything in this house not yet given away, donated or otherwise contributed into the general good I have amassed an enormous amount of goods. Although my children comment that the house is becoming sparse and it is with relief that I hear those words although I still see a lot of items. But I digress from where I was at. Free BMD is a wonderful tool and I still use it often. The Siderfin entries are not numerous - it is a small family name but I have brought the births and deaths up to the end of the 1980s which is really far enough - I was mostly interested in the deaths past 1911 and they have been achieved. Just the marriages left to do and I will work at that today. Then I can extract once again from my legacy file a narrative descendant book to use in the Siderfin Book. I have not discovered any lines missed that James Sanders found to have daughtered out in the 1600s. They daughtered out for the most part except for Robert (Robert 3, William 2, John 1). It is his life in the male Siderfin name that extends down into the 1600s and on into the 1700s and most importantly into the 1800s where no other lines are seen descending down from the other male children of Robert (William 2, John 1). I do not find any trees on line that descend from these other lines. Looking at the Somerset Subsidies would be an added proof to the daughtering out of these lines. I will try to do that this summer. 

My fingers are itching to get at the Pincombe/Pinkham material that was given to me by another researcher. I may have a lot of that material but the important thing is to see that I do have all of it. I basically want to do the same thing as I have done with the Siderfin family. I have completed the first three generations of the Pencombe family at North Molton and the next step is to move into the fourth generation. I will probably talk more about the first three generations of the Pencombe family in the next newsletter bringing in land that was managed by them as that does help to link the families together. Am I actually moving towards the book? That has now become my goal to write a book on the family. I think that I have begun the beginning as one might say but I still have the Pencombe material from Hereford to marry into this data and I need to acquire the original scans for that data which I will do over the course of the next little while. I  might see if one of my Pincombe cousins would do that for me at Kew although it is tempting to just have them scan them and charge me. Not being much of a shopper I do have a few pennies here and there to spare for such luxuries. 

I realized this winter that the corduroy slacks that I am wearing all winter are now fourteen years old and one pair is at least twenty years old. I do have a closet jammed full of clothes as I never get rid of any although Edward used to do that - give my clothes to the Salvation Army. Perhaps he got tired of seeing them! That did inspire me to go shopping for new. I actually like new clothes; I would just like to find a way to buy them that doesn't mean I spend hours shopping however my daughters like to shop and perhaps I should think about some new items; it is good for the economy to keep buying. We old people need to do that since we have time to shop and every bit helps to keep the economy in a good position. 

So today is another Siderfin day and I still have a couple more before the end of the month. I would like to see myself back to actually continuing to revise the book by the end of the month. That way if I have a thought I can just quickly go into the book and add it whilst I am working on Pencombe. The two families are intertwined as a Siderfin married a Rew and then a Rew married a Pincombe but it is somewhat in the past. The name just caught my eye way back in the Pincombe Profile writing days and then when I first took on Surname Studies at the Guild of one name studies I actually selected three studies - my I was a dreamer for sure just one is a lot of work. 

Up early and the rain is going to continue and the earth is very thankful. The ground was very dry last fall. Mother Earth needs all the support we can give her. It is 2 degrees celsius at 6:40 am and my day has begun. I love the mornings and getting up at 6; Edward rather lured me away from that through those 54.5 years of marriage but I am back at my early mornings when the winds of God can be seen in the trees especially in the spring and before the buddings and the leaves come. The thin branches sway in His breath and it is wondrous. I must get outside today and have a look at all the new buds coming. The daffodils have had their day and soon the tulips - the leaves are all up. I will order a bag of garden soil soon as the lawns are crying out for some fresh soil and new seed. I can work away at that each day until it is time to work on the garden. Keep raining and the task of greening can move faster and faster. Spring is beautiful with its succession of flowers - the lawn is still blue with flowers and likely the dandelions are starting to send up their fresh leaves. Thank you God for our wonderful world. 

Breakfast soon. First set of jumping jacks down and the next set before breakfast and then onto a day of work and exercise - yesterday weight lifting and I am getting used to the increased weight so moved on to a fourth set (partial, will take it slowly). Once the fourth set is in place then I can start to increase the number of repeats to fifteen. My fourty minute run just before lunch with a set of jumping jacks. Then an afternoon that finishes with calisthenics before dinner and the fourth set of jumping jacks. I missed doing them; forgot I guess when Edward was ill. Life was difficult but meaningful; we likely talked more during that time than we had for years when we were both busy working and raising children.

No comments: