Tuesday, April 11, 2023

My largest match next to my siblings

A rather large match for a 2nd-3rd cousin that I could not place has finally been given a spot on the tree. This individual and I (and my four siblings) share the MRCA of John Blake and Ann Farmer of Upper Clatford, Hampshire, England. Problem solved that has lurked in the background for quite a while. It is however a very large match for a third cousin once removed (I share 247 centimorgans or 4%) so I am tempted to think he is also related to me on the Knight line as he shares many Knight matches in common with me (and my siblings). So a little longer adventure there perhaps (unless it is just a very large match which could happen). We do have some large Blake matches (just none quite this large) with descendants of my father's first cousins (i.e. my second cousins). The interesting comparison is a match with my second cousin on my mother's side (Buller line) where we share 227 centimorgans or 3%. It has been a tantalizing match for sure ever since it first came up. A similar match in the same family line of Farley is only 98 centimorgans (my third cousin once removed). So an interesting match for sure that still has a story behind it I suspect.

Back to Siderfin once again today. I did not accomplish very much yesterday with all the cleaning. I want to continue working on the 2433 hits on Find My Past. It would be good to complete that task by mid June which I think is most probable. Along the way I do end up doing some other background checking as the hits can sometimes take quite a while to place. I am also going to start the Kipp Newsletter next week and do the main issue of H11 although will consider whether to put it up online. Time will tell but I will get it completed. 

A new match on Ancestry with the Siderfin family has proven to be very interesting as well. I am able to place this person into the line coming down from my 3x great grandmother's sibling Thomas Siderfin who rather disappears from the Selworthy area as a young man. This family, being very large, would have had to find their spot in the world for sure since the property was going to go to the eldest. My line, descendant from John Rew and Elizabeth Siderfin did end up at Bratton near Minehead at some point and after Elizabeth died John would move to his son's farm in the Bishops Nympton area where he is found in 1848 with his will being probated and kindly identifies my ancestor Elizabeth (Rew) Pincombe as his daughter and that he wants to be buried beside his wife in Selworthy, Somerset. A perfect will since he lists all of his married daughters and so much genealogical information all in one place. One dreams of such wills. Linking Elizabeth back to her birth family proved to be a fascinating story of census, serendipity, and just good luck. That happened way back when I really knew almost nothing about doing English genealogy but followed some of the guides in my course work and I was rewarded very largely. 

I shall try to keep on track with my genealogy work as we pull away from the COVID watershed in time. Before COVID my blog tended to be about my research but it did become somewhat political and I did not actually intend to be quite so political although my thoughts are exactly that my thoughts and I can be, in my small part of the world, rather political but tend to stick to that at home only (politics is not a good dinner conversation). I captured all of my blog from this watershed time into my Life Story just because I decided to do that. A whole lot happened in my life during that time and I wanted to record it for anyone in my family that wanted to read it. 

The second cleaning day of the week and it is the easier one - the basement. We are promised a 14 degree celsius day today  which should result in more melting. We still have a lot of snow although the grass is showing quite well now. My crocodile on the roof has melted down into the look of Perce Rock off the coast of Quebec in the Gulf of St Lawrence. It is very small now and will not likely take my eavestrough off any more although I can say it has not moved even when it looked like a rather large crocodile. Next year I shall try to knock the pile off to one side with a broom to keep it somewhat less large. We had a lot of snow this year. 

On to breakfast and cleaning day. I shall have time to work on Siderfin today.

No comments: