Saturday, September 9, 2023

Appendices growing and a steady pace forward

The Siderfin Book is on the move once again and I do hope to be into the final generations by the end of September. Must reserve some time for the Blake Newsletter though. I never did make it to the Family Search Library to look at the Subsidies but another time, perhaps after Christmas if my surgery isn't until next spring. 

Today is cooler; the heat has finally broken although I can not say it I found it an inconvenience at all. I am a homebound person by choice so there is a luxury in poor weather as one doesn't ever need to leave home except by necessity. As I approach 78 years of life I can look around me and enjoy what God has given to us. I would enjoy it more if I felt that those who follow us will also get to enjoy the beauty of this world. The millions/billions (currency) that are being held by the few will be a challenge that governments will have to face or ignore. One will see what happens. Ignoring this concentration of wealth especially by passing laws that permit it to be more frequent rather than less is a problem. Wealth carries responsibility and as the birth rate continues to dwindle we may see a change in wealth distribution because people will once again be more important. In the years to come every birth will become a celebration in continuance of the human race but we will have to work hard to have a world for all of those people to live in. One that benefits the majority. 

In a way that was the value in Kings in the past. Most were benevolent and took good care of their people. We have replaced that with big business and some are definitely benevolent; those that are not will have to change in order to survive I suspect in the years to come. The hungry robber barons are still amongst us though and they squander both our wealth as a world body and the aims of people by offering just words; no gain. 

Well off of that soapbox and I continue to watch the Conservative Party here. Is this new leader an asset to fiscal conservatism? Will he do what has to be done to make government more efficient and that doesn't mean cutting here and there to suit big business; it means having services in a fiscally conservative way that provide real benefit to the vast majority of Canadians. No social conservatism; social mores belong to the courts if people are injured but we must follow the commandments of God and take care of our fellow man. Social conservatism is a failure on the part of humankind not to respect the rights of others and the Convoy was a good demonstration of that. Yes they had something to say; they did not say it the right way (they broke our bylaws and made life miserable for weeks on end) and they did not leave after they said it. It only needed to be said once and then pack it up and go home.  

Back to the Siderfin book and as I write I have been thinking about my Uncle who was one of my role model people. He was an extremely kind person always ready to lend a hand. He gave us (Edward and I) his collection of material on his life and I did write his life's story but only for the reading of our family (my siblings and their children included). When I write the Pincombe story I shall have a Preface/Acknowledgement which remembers my uncle and his life of good works (he was very involved in his United Church both in London and Toronto). He made me feel special as a child and part of his family which was a wonderful feeling; being the middle child of seven one doesn't always feel like an individual but he certainly made me feel important in his sphere. But as I study the Siderfin family I can see that he inherited from them the sense of duty and the ability to stand up for what is right. That really showed up in the 1653 document. Yes they did ask for their daughter's widow's portion that had been guaranteed but they showed true compassion for their son-in-law visiting him in his illness. His own family obviously never bothered as they claimed to not know that he was ill although one wonders about that (they were only eighteen miles away)t; they were just waiting to acquire the property that they had prevented being part of a widow's portion to live on in the home of her husband if he died before she did. Interesting really. But Robert Siderfin reminds me very much of my uncle William Edwin Pincombe. The Siderfin blood ran thickly in his veins even though it was his 2x great grandmother that was his Siderfin connection Elizabeth (Siderfin) Rew mother of his grandfather William Robert Pincombe. 

On to the day, second set of jumping jacks and breakfast. An Avocada Fritrata  today having had Chicken Stew for four dinners running it will be a nice change. I do love Chicken Stew but to make a really good one; one needs two good sized chicken breasts and lots of vegetables to create a beautiful sauce but then it does take a few days to eat all of that (cost of the meal was about $7.00 per night) so now I will have some budget type meals for a few nights. I like to keep my grocery bill around $75.00 per week (used to be $50 per week but inflation hit everyone for sure). I do not buy extras mostly because I do not have a sweet tooth. I love frozen vegetables once the fresh are done. I am not a big fruit eater although try to do one piece a day like an apple, an orange or a banana sometimes. I like frozen fruit and that brings in all those treats of the Niagara valley all winter long. I try to keep the protein high since I am elderly but do love bread and peanut butter and would eat it every lunch but do try for variety to please my children. I do not eat cold meat unless it is jellied like head cheese or jellied tongue so do not get much of that these days. I do like eggs but coming from a high cholesterol family I need to watch how many of those I eat. Then of course my favourite breakfast continues to be oatmeal cooked in milk with cranberries and raisins, then add wheat germ, wheat bran, chocolate and blueberries at the end. What a wonderful way to start the day. When I run out of milk then I do have milk powder on hand always.


No comments: