Monday, February 5, 2024

Still Online Parish Clerk for Bishops Nympton

Had someone write about two of the families at Bishops Nympton - Chappell and Tapp so sent the entire set of records BMBs to him (perhaps 100 lines in total). I have land records as well but did  not find Chappell or Tapp on the Land Records. Since Tapp is the surname of my  7 x great grandparents I mentioned that as well. The daughter of John Tapp and Anne Thomas - Elizabeth Tapp married John Manning (1680). This is a long way back though and the Tapp family is large. He mentioned that Robert Pincombe was in Edward Chapple's will so asked him to send me a copy - it is an Inland Revenue Will. I think Robert may have been one of the Church Wardens at that period of time (would need to check the fiche and not doing that at the moment!) when Edward Chapple died in 1818. Robert died in 1827 suddenly (will dated four days earlier) and his wife Elizabeth had already died in 1823/4 along with one of their sons. In total they had eight children and all were minors when Robert died. I seldom have anyone write these days for such material since a lot of it is online at Find My Past. I always reply as I have a ton of records for Bishops Nympton. But I do not have them all. The name intrigued me when I was a child and my mother's letters over the twenty five years mentioned the village a number of times because her father had mentioned it to her. I wondered if he went there in the 1890s but I do not find him arriving in England so perhaps  not. My mother had a pretty solid description of Bishops Nympton that proved to be quite accurate when we went there in 2008.

We went to Bishops Nympton in 2008 and it is a lovely Devon village. Went past Park on the  country road from South Molton where this family lived. The house there is much larger than the one that was there when Robert and his family lived there. Of the eight children, one went to the United States, three came to Canada, one went to Australia and two remained in England (one in Birmingham and one in Bristol). None of the children of Robert and Elizabeth stayed in Devon.  All of the younger sons were apprenticed, the two older sons and the youngest were farmers (his wife had inherited property) and the daughter married a farmer. It was the two youngest that remained in England. I have a lot of material on this family to go into the Pincombe book although it will have a narrower circulation since I am writing an entirely new book. I just felt that I had to make the corrections to James Siderfin book and I am happy with that. Mostly I seldom think about the Siderfin Book as for me it is finished although I will produce the charts for the Siderfin Book sometime in the summer when my eyes have recovered from surgery. 

My one weak feature is definitely my eyes although I apparently have a heart murmur as well according to Edward's cousin (our family doctor back in the 70s and 80s and 90s). Not sure how one notices a heart murmur really as I have been running for 68 years mostly every day or biking I did do a lot of that when my children were young. I suppose it will eventually catch up to me this heart murmur but for the moment I do not notice it. Nor do I mention it when I am in a doctor's office; if they do not detect it then for me it doesn't really exist. Funny that it was detected earlier actually. Perhaps it was that I was still in convalescence from the period of illness that I encountered when my little one was an infant; just thought of that. Being a hyperactive person though I did rebound quicker than anticipated according to the doctor at the time but I would say it was a great struggle at the time. Poor health takes time to recover and become good health.

 Cleaning day today and that will keep me busy and my eyes off of the screen! Hard to believe it is the 5th of February already and the second month into 2024. We will in another year be one quarter of the way into this century. The last twenty three years have been very busy ones for me. I was still working at the hospital at the turn of the century and would be for another four years and then a stint at Health Canada for a year and a bit and then retirement. I injured my shoulder (tore the rotator cuff) when I was helping to re-organize after our move to the new Campus at the Riverside and just never really recovered from that so I finally did retire and did all the necessary therapy and I never notice it now. One can still recover when one is old! I actually did the exercises four times a day for five years never missing a day and then continued with them into my exercise routine until the present day actually. There are a couple of good ones for a torn rotator cuff that a physiotherapist can teach to you. I think that therapy is the best thing really although surgery is necessary for some for sure and you still need therapy! 

Thinking about the Pincombe and Blake books whilst I clean and drinking my tea. On to my first period of Latin study of the day and then breakfast. 

At some point in the last couple of months when I asked Alexa to set a timer for my tea she responded with Good morning and my forename first and then set my five minute alarm. It is interesting that new addition to hear my forename first thing in the morning. AI is certainly interesting but one must utilize rather than let AI become a controller. I can see benefits when one is searching now. I do use precise search terms but I would say that the AI is increasing that preciseness and occasionally captures something I haven't seen with that search before. That is definitely an asset. 




No comments: