Sunday, February 25, 2024

The Benefice of Trelawny - Church Service this Sunday

The Service today was traveling about The Benefice of Trelawny and visiting some of the Churches there with the choirs. The Churchs: St Marnarch Lanreath, St Nun Pelynt, St Saviour Polruan, St Wyllow Lanteglos, St Tallanus Talland, St Ildierna Lansallos and  St John Bodinnick. The hymns were perfect; all my favourites. I feel akin to these people perhaps because I have three grandparents born in England and my father and just my one little line in Canada - my mother, her father and his mother. All the rest came to Canada from England (six different areas - Devon/Somerset, Hampshire/Dorset/Wiltshire, London/Surrey, East Riding of Yorkshire, Cumberland, and Warwickshire/Shropshire/Staffordshire/Leicestershire). I come from all over England and yet just a small part of each area.

We traveled through this area on our last trip to the British Isles which saw us visit all of the main islands and the Orkneys. We finished up in Cornwall the last few days and it is beautiful. Land's End will always be clearly in my memory because I hiked out as far as I could go. My father often talked about coming from Southampton along the south coast of England and they stopped to see Blarney Castle before heading out into the Atlantic with their next stop Quebec City. He was just nine years of age when he came to Canada with his mother (his father had come six months earlier to set up a house for them) and it was with sadness that he left behind all of his grandparents and even great grandparents. He was an only child venturing into a brand new life. The only plus perhaps was his Uncle that he knew well lived in Toronto (he moved there in 1911). He came to love Canada as if he was born here although like my grandfather he did mention his Blake line back in England plus he corresponded with his aunts and uncles and cousins through the years. But I digress, my father was born at Eastleigh and his father at Upper Clatford and my father's mother at Kimpton. 

The service is wonderful (available on YouTube) with references to John Wesley's preaching. John Wesley remained an Anglican but his ideas created the Wesleyan Methodist Church. One of my 3x great grandfathers Charles Butt was a Wesleyan preacher according to one account I found on Family Search. I never did verify that at all but it was interesting to see that. He too remained an Anglican. Charles was baptized 25 Dec 1801 at Winterborne Stickland, Dorset and was buried 7 Dec 1886 at Turnworth and remembered by my Grandfather because the two of them went walking and carved their initials in a tree when Charles was 80 and my grandfather was six years of age (so I suspect the carving was done by Charles!). 

Simply amazing having all of these services online. I suppose I could go but COVID gave me new ideas on how to worship God and so I switched my tithe somewhat around to give more to the Primate's World Relief and Development Fund and less to the General Account so that Anglicanism can flow around the world because it is such an ancient Church and has so much in common with the Indigenous peoples of the world because Churches of the British Isles descend from those earlier Celtic Faiths and before that the Indigenous Faith that I am sure merged with the Celtic at some point in the very deep past. Church is the most constant part of our lives as it is with us at our baptism just after we are born and as we prepare for our eventual death in our old age if God so wills.

No comments: