Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Cataract surgery

I actually have a date for cataract surgery and it is when I will have help so much relieved. It is just the idea of actually having to hire someone to look after me for fourty eight hours solid just seemed silly; I do not need an RN to look after me as my daughter is willing and saves that expense on my health insurance. If we all use the health insurance that we have available it will soon be a problem. It is necessary to try and do as much as you can without relying on insurance that is for sure. We must take care of ourselves and keep the strain on the health care system as low as possible. Doctors work long hours especially family doctors and the more we can work on our own health care by living the healthiest life possible is important especially as we age. My eyes are really my only weakness as even my heart murmur does not appear to be detectable so likely a factor of my convalescence way back in my 30s when I was so very ill. Since my illness I have put the highest priorities on my sleep, good exercise, and a very healthy diet but also looking after my family and working.

I was quite interested in the long conversation that I had with my surgeon; not that long I guess really but he answered all my questions and provided me with some interesting information on my own eyes. As it does appear that part of my eye difficulty all of my life is the lens itself being inadequate (ie simply was not a perfect lens like most people probably get when they are conceived) and replacing it with an acrylic lens may well give me better sight than I have ever had. That is somewhat exciting and we will wait and see how that flows.  I know my father found it easy to do his crossword puzzles in his old age so time will tell. For me it is doing my latin/english/french/german transcriptions looking at the various family lines. Indeed I would be able to look at some of the records that Edward did collect in German and work on them in the future. So that is somewhat interesting as well. At the moment I am finding that transcription is still doable but I do have problems if there are any extra characters that I am not used to such as one finds in European script. All of my ancestors are from England and although not always easy, I find the transcription fairly straight forward. 

Cleaning the basement today/ I am a day behind but worth every minute of finally having a cataract surgery date that works for my tight schedule. It was close though as he only had two surgery dates left in May. I still have the second eye to do in the same restricted time frame. But I discovered that waiting in between also works especially as I am not actually having any problems with my eyes and both of my parents were into their eighties before they had cataract surgery. However, I would like to have both done this year. I am very excited to actually have a surgery date.

No comments: