Friday, June 7, 2019

Cheatle Family

A new match that I am working on is making me wonder about my Cheatle family at Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire. I looked into the Cheatle family several years ago and corresponded with known descendants of other Cheatle families with ancestry back to Ashby de la Zouch who still live in England.

Then a couple of new matches appeared (one of which is 84 cM over 3 chromosomes including X with a 20 cM match) and a mention of the Chadborne family with several of them. One of my brothers also has an X chromosome match (15 cM) with this tester.  I found a birth on the GRO UK website, Josiah Chadbourne with mother's surname Cheatle Sep quarter 1839 at Birmingham, Warwickshire. Searching on Family Search I located the marriage of Elizabeth Cheatle and Samuel Chadbourne 26 July 1825 at Ashby de la Zouch with witnesses Wm Cheatle and Sarah Thomas. Elizabeth was 21 years of age at the time of her marriage but that was probably meant to clarify that she was an adult and not specific to her birth year. Unfortunately the signature of Wm Cheatle on this marriage license did not match the signature for my Wm Cheatle on the marriage license for my Sarah Cheatle seven years earlier but it could be a brother rather than a father I am contemplating. I found births for an Elizabeth Cheatle at Ashby de la Zouch:

Elizabeth Cheatle born 14 Sep 1794, father George Cheatle

Elizabeth Cheatle baptized 19 Apr 1801, parents William and Elizabeth Cheatle

Elizabeth Cheatle baptized 22 Aug 1802, parents Benjamin and Catherine Cheatle

Elizabeth Cheatle baptized 9 Jun 1802, parents William and Ann Cheatle

Looking at these Cheatle marriages at Ashby de la Zouch:

Benjamin Cheatle married Catherine Adams 28 Apr 1788

William Cheatle married Elizabeth Sherwin 6 Mar 1786

And other places:

William Cheatle married Ann Brookes 7 Oct 1796 at Ratby, Leicestershire

My Sarah Cheatle was bapized 17 Jan 1795 at Ashby de la Zouch daughter of William and Sarah Cheatle. Although Ratby is about ten miles from Ashby de la Zouch, it is not really that far and on the main road. Is it remotely possible that Sarah's mother died and her father remarried?

One of the matches has a tree online at Ancestry showing Josiah Chadbourne born at Birmingham with mother Elizabeth. I have now sent this new information to the tester (he also tested at 23 and Me). This would be most interesting as connecting the Cheatle family in Ashby de la Zouch has been quite a challenge.

I tried to connect with a Welch-Cheatle cousin descendant of the twin sister of my 2x great grandmother living in British Columbia but her email address no longer was functional. We last corresponded in 2007 so probably not surprising! I am not one to maintain email friendships although always glad to hear from people about their research finds especially in my family lines. There are not too many people tracing the lines that I am into unfortunately. DNA has made the trip easier for sure.

No comments: