Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Downsizing memberships

I have decided to narrow my focus in genealogy and will downsize my memberships. This year I am eliminating The Surname Society both for myself and my husband. Although I was a founding member I am just too busy working on my Blake, Pincombe and H11 studies to continue involvement. I tend to work with my DNA studies at FT DNA for all three of these projects. I think it is approaching 74 years of age actually. I already receive so many emails and this will help to eliminate some of those.

I actually enjoy the emails that I receive about the studies with a few exceptions. I do not do anyone else's research unless it coincides with research that I am doing. I expect people to provide me with their tree back three generations and a DNA study if they are trying to fit into a particular line. I do not open attachments unless I have information on the attachment. I have lately received several emails to my one name account that are just an attachment with the word Blake in the email. I wrote back to this individual to request more information about the attachment but have not to date heard back. Consequently the attachment remains unopened. 

Although my initial thought was to belong to these societies so that I could eventually deposit my research but I have decided to do as my predecessors with Pincombe and Blake have done and deposit my material at the Society of Genealogists. All of my information is electronic so easily passed and readily stored. The Newsletters which I produce will be available on my website for as long as it survives and I am putting a plan in place to keep it going for a while. Plus I plan to continue working on my studies so long as I can sit at a computer and keep typing.


1 comment:

Debbie Kennett said...

Elizabeth, As well as depositing your research with the SOG, have you also considered depositing your digital files in the Guild of One-Name Studies Library. If anyone else wishes to take over the registration of your surnames they would then have easy access to all your material.