Saturday, May 30, 2020

Crow Family

We have a crow's nest in our back tree. We never had a bird nest there before and to have such a large one is certainly interesting. The young are starting to move around on the grass at the back as they learn to fly. The crows are huge birds and occupy almost the entire bird feeder. Not far from their nest is the cardinal nest that appears every year now on a neighbouring fir tree. I haven't seen their young yet but they are a much smaller bird and likely they are keeping them well hidden because just a few houses away we have acquired a neighbourhood hawk that sails overhead daily.

No rabbits now, the hawk has eliminated them or they are hiding most of the day. That is perhaps a good thing as they nibble away at our garden plants. A little nibbling is fine but an entire family of rabbits can eat a whole garden!

Moving things in the kitchen today as there is a split plug on the other side. We managed to trip the breaker the other day - first time in this house (lived here for 42 years). When we came here there seemed to be so many plugs but life has changed with all sorts of new gadgets - microwave, grill, portable oven and they all need electricity.

Tomorrow we will plant the garden although we are promised our usual below 4 degrees centigrade days in the next week or so. Always a gift in June to have this cooler weather! It does help the new grass to grow for sure but can be a little hard on the bedding plants and the new seedlings but we are late planting so no danger there if frost comes to the main vegetable garden.

COVID-19 is starting to be less in my thoughts. I still always wear a mask when we go out and I wash my hands as soon as we return home. I am still using the lysol wipes on all the purchases that come into the house. There are less than 150 cases in our city area which is slightly over one million. However, one knows that could easily change if we do not continue being vigilant.

I tested 6.1 for glucose fasting (we use Gamma Dyna Care so you can see your results on line) so bought a blood testing kit. My mother in her mid 70s started to test in the above 6.0 for glucose (just very slightly). I think my health is similar to hers and was not surprised. I will keep a check on it and maybe test once a week or so just to establish a baseline. She was always one to communicate with her doctor and was careful to increase her protein and reduce her carbohydrate and that seemed to work well for her. My godmother was a nurse and she used to come by quite often on her way home from the hospital. I actually didn't like doctors as a child and probably not as an adult either. I like to just go in and ask for what I feel I need; I am willing to be corrected if I am wrong but not having the MRI on my knee was annoying I must admit. It is stronger for sure but still doing YOGA I can feel that it is not quite right. It made me dreadfully nervous at first as there was pain there but the physiotherapist kept assuring me that what I was doing wasn't damaging it. Probably he was right but an MRI would have been more assuring. I guess I have trouble understanding why I can not just have an MRI when there was obvious sign of damage on the X-ray and I did ask our doctor for that. I have only been in the hospital to have children and for about two weeks when I had a nervous disorder after trying to go back to work when my first child was born (they thought it was multiple sclerosis). I do not remember being in there at first as my mind was completely absent from reality but after I did realize it and was in therapy sessions I spent all my time listening to other people and not talking so they finally just let me go home when I was once again lucid and able to manage. Perhaps it was some sort of a function of my autism; no ideas on that but I mostly keep to myself and it is nearly thirty eight years since I was in a hospital as a patient.

I worked at the Ottawa Hospital for ten years and found that to be most interesting. Working with doctors gave me a different perspective on medicine and I, of course, have great respect for the medical profession. It is a hard life in many ways. The research areas were my biggest interest although the actual hospital work that I did do including being the Administrative Assistant for the Hematopathology Residency Training Programme was most interesting.

No comments: