Friday, August 12, 2022

Another beautiful August Day

 A beautiful August morning with a temperature of 14 degrees celsius at 8:00 am. The sky looks somewhat cloudless so may be a warm day but the cool nights tell me that autumn is definitely coming and hopefully a lot more rain. The trees are definitely taking up most of the rain water that we have had as the plants are very thirsty and the tree roots are so much more prolific and quickly suck up all the moisture as it comes down. But the trees too are suffering from a lack of rain. This has been a dry summer once again. 

We finished pulling up all of the raspberry plants that we had planned to do. There is now a large rich fertile piece of soil to grow vegetables on next year that gets more sun and is less encumbered by all the trees around us. We will see how that goes next year. This really has been a dry summer though even dryer than last summer. I have a lot of weeding to do in the yard and will get working at that as well as the downsizing. My research always suffers in the summer although I got a surprising amount done this summer perhaps because I have let the weeds grow!

It will be the middle of August in just a couple of days; the month is passing quickly although I think August often does pass quickly. The month of July when I was a child was generally the month that we went on vacation of some sort as children and it was a fun month with all the day available for reading which was my favourite thing to do. Then in August one waited patiently for school to start once again. 

I have some painting to do once the cooler weather comes and the windows can be open to let in fresh air. The red stairs in the basement need a little touchup and I have some painting on the walls around the stairs coming down from the top floor where the old railing was. Then a little touch up here and there just to fresh that up where the paint has eroded a little or holes that Edward put in the wall to bring the wired internet into his office. He added a booster and when we found the holes we realized that Edward had not been himself for a while as he would never have put holes in the wall without putting in a plate. He liked to do such things himself. 

Life is so very different now because Edward is no longer with me; I seldom go anywhere particularly and shopping trips are very quick. I take longer walks and generally faster as Edward liked to stroll and chat with people that he knew as we moved along. I am returning rapidly to my reclusive state that tends to identify my family members. I was involved in particular projects but did not become socially involved in such projects; just the working arm of them. 

Today I shall have a look at the wills that I was sent that are said to prove the link between William Blake and Ann Cole and the descendant Blake family. There may well have been a William Blake married to an Ann Cole but they were unlikely the ancestors of the Blake family at Andover given the wills that exist for that family back to Robert Blake who left his will in 1521. But time will tell and I do not so solidify my thoughts that I am unable to accept what is absolute proof of items that did not appear to be correct initially. I like to keep a very open mind. But my grandfather was so positive that he was not related to Robert Blake High Admiral of the English fleet during the Commonwealth. So far everything that my grandfather told me about his Blake family has been traceable and fairly easy to follow.

No comments: