Sunday, August 7, 2022

Celebration of Life Service for Edward

Right up until we found a parking spot and realized that we would be more or less on time for the 1:00 service, I was so worried about the service. But then we arrived although I was in a somewhat exhausted state not having slept well the night before, the service itself was quite wonderful and a tribute to my husband and our daughter's father. The service would have suited him very well and the music much appreciated. He would have loved more hymns I am sure but I am glad that I did not request more than The Lord Is My Shepherd - it was a favourite for both of us (he sang it as an adult and I as a child when we were in our respective choirs). Having traveled back and forth this past year plus carrying the urn with me, it was a strange feeling to have left him behind in the Columbarium. I am content that we have followed through with his wishes in that regard although he did not select a final resting place. 

I have a few things to do now. I need to write up the Celebration of Life and put it in the newspaper. I also want to send to his fellow classmates a copy of the service and a short note as he wanted me to send something to them. I have heard from some of them but other than saying thank you for their email I have not responded. 

The Memorial Room will be a little different now and I will miss the closeness of Edward being with us whenever we are together. But he would want me to move forward in my life and not mourn him the rest of my days as I would have wanted him to do. I thank God for all the years of our marriage and our children and grandchildren. 

No comments: