Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Another research day

Pincombe Newsletter completed and ready to publish on the 1st of December.  It is 59 pages but that includes my transcriptions of Landkey and North Molton parish registers. Now that they are online on Find My Past and Ancestry one wonders whether there is value in publishing my copy. Will consider that.

Today I will spend a little time reading "The Black Death" and perhaps finish a couple more chapters. It is most intriguing. The recovery of the world following this plague is most fascinating and reminiscent of our own watershed moment in time with COVID from which we continue to recover. The gain during this time of recovery centuries ago was the growth and establishment of an independent medical profession as the existing system had, for the most part, failed the people of the different communities. Some communities benefitted and it was these communities that became a centre piece on which to base a new type of medical system and we, as a result, have reaped the benefit from that change. Having to wait in line even for two hours as I did for my tetanus shot in the summer was not really all that long. It was a Sunday after all and I could theoretically have waited until Monday but decided that I should get a tetanus shot earlier rather than later because I am old and so waiting in line was just a means to an end which achieved my tetanus shot. One must be patient when the need is not critical. 

As well I want to start looking at the Blake Newsletter and I hope to go to the Family History Centre to look at the subsidies for Somerset and see what I can garner from that information in terms of the Blake families in the 1400s/1500s/1600s in Somerset. I will need to prepare lists as that is the best way to go to the Family History Library and utilize their computers. Then there is always my DNA phasing of my great grandparents which continues but before getting back to it I will work on the cluster matches from My Heritage - almost through the second set.

Car has snow tires now and I am ready for winter although I do not go very far in general. I am enjoying this hermit life and will likely stay like this the rest of my days. I am really not a person to wander far although do like a good walk. Yesterday I had two good walks of about 2 kilometres each. It was a lovely fresh day outside. I must try and do that every day as the fresh air is good for one's lungs. I was plagued with a bit of "asthma" for the last five or six years but it has completely disappeared this last year so probably nerves rather than asthma. The strain of being a caregiver is huge especially when you are also old. Needing to be available all hours of the night and day (although my daughter was home when the Prime Minister called all Canadians home during COVID as I could never have managed without her) is a strain but done in love of course. I think what keeps me though is my five periods of exercise a day mostly totaling about 150 minutes a day including stretching, weight lifting, running, calisthenics and stationary biking plus walking (not in the total) which I generally do a lot of as I usually do 15,000 to 18,000 steps per day. 

On to the day and breakfast - my favourite meal. Although I had salmon night before last and then leftovers - salmon fish cake -  and that comes pretty close to being a real favourite as well.

No comments: