Saturday, November 5, 2022

The continuing saga of phasing great grandparents and Chromosome 22

Yesterday was a pretty busy day and I also got my flu shot. Gradually I am getting things done that I wanted to accomplish in November as I have Edward's archival boxes all sitting and waiting for me to look at them. 

But yesterday I continued looking at Chromosome 22. It is a short chromosome and the phasing of it appears to be pretty straight forward with  three crossover points and only two crossover points when I look at four of our results from 23 and Me - the third crossover point comes from the fifth set of results. One person actually has received 100% from our maternal grandmother and 100% from our paternal grandfather (nothing from either grandmother). A second person has obtained 100% from the maternal grandfather and 100% from the paternal grandmother. So neither of them has a crossover point. My DNA was the most varied as I received about 50% from my maternal grandmother and 50% from my maternal grandfather and 75% from my paternal grandmother and 25% from my paternal grandfather and I have two crossover points. A third person received 50% from a maternal grandmother and 50% from a maternal grandfather and 100% from a paternal grandfather. Then the fourth person received 100% from a maternal grandmother and 50% from a paternal grandmother and 50% from a paternal grandfather. These two people both have one crossover point (not the same one). Six of the ten chromosomes examined did not have crossover points. This is, of course, a very short set of two chromosomes. I find 23 and Me meaningful for working on phasing although Gedmatch provides a similar type of pattern. In only three areas do three of the four individuals have full matches with the rest being half matches and no matches looking at the diagram of crossover points which is readily produced when one compares one of the members with the other three. Two share just one very short length at the end of the chromosome and interestingly the two individuals who inherited 100% on each chromosome from one grandparents have one of those chromosomes as shared for the entire length. This shows up well in the matches. When the non 23 and Me tester is mixed into the system this individual shares the 100% chromosome inherited from the maternal grandmother. There is only one set of three matches that pertain to this ancestral line and none are known to me and they do not match known matches with the maternal grandmother leading to the Buller-Welch 2x great grandparents so are perhaps on the Taylor-Roberts line which is rather exciting to contemplate. I have now looked at the matches extensively but I may do a little tree construction today to continue my work on this chromosome. I was successful in breaking down the paternal Blake grandfather into his parents lines - Blake and Knight. I was also able to break down one length of the maternal grandfather into Pincombe and Gray. The other remains a mystery for the moment but again does not match known Pincombe and Gray matches within the system that I have created - the location and ethnicity tends to direct me towards the Gray family. I was unable to break down the maternal grandfather Buller-Taylor or the paternal grandmother Cotterill??-Rawlings into components. I am going to do a little tree work to see if I can see anything and then will move on to Chromosome 21.

The day proceeds as I want to do my weekly washing (Saturday is a cheaper day to wash on and I do like to take advantage of that). Tonight will be chicken, potatoes and just need to think about the vegetable for dinner. I used to make all the meal decisions when I was at home before going back to work outside of the home but my children did not actually care that much for my meal choices and when Edward took over when I did go back to work outside the home (he was closer and got home first) then they were much happier with his food choices. Edward loved cooking as it turned out and they happily put together the meal by the time that I arrived home to perhaps make a salad or whatever they had left for me to do. The system worked very well actually and everyone was happy. 

A somewhat muted sunrise today; perhaps a lot of water vapour in the air is filtering the sunlight and diminishing it somewhat.  It is warm already and meant to be cloudy today. I do not think the temperature decreased much last night.


No comments: