Sunday, February 12, 2023

On to the 1861 Census

Completed looking at the 1841 and 1851 census with just three people from 1841 missing on the 1851 census that I could not locate with a death or a marriage. I have not yet checked emigration but will do that eventually. 

Siderfin is certainly an interesting name which is what attracted me to it in the first place as a study. But aside from that it was my first real study gain about one year into my course work. I was trying to write the Pincombe Profile and was stumped at the surname of my 2x great grandmother (Elizabeth Rew) mother's surname. It was solely by chance that I discovered John Rew living at Sheepwash with his son and having died there wrote in his will that he had a married daughter Elizabeth Pincombe along with his other daughters married or not. I came up with an idea since Elizabeth (Rew) Pincombe and her eldest son were missing on the 1841 census at Molland where they lived at Lower Gatcombe perhaps I could discover if she had gone to (he named Selworthy as the resting place for his wife where he wanted to be buried beside her or close to her whichever worked) bring her father back to Devon where she and her brother lived not too far apart. Finding Elizabeth on the 1841 census with her sister Ann Nurcombe and family and her Uncle Robert Siderfin (a bachelor) was a great find and all part of my first real research project on my own family lines. Plus it filled in that missing surname for the readers of the Pincombe Profile except it didn't happen as I emailed it to George but he was likely busy and missed it so the book went to press without it but I have published it quite a bit ever since. I should have called him but I do love email. 

Sunday and Church on You-Tube with my ever continuing prayers for the trapped victims in the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria. The stories coming out are good ones. Little ones surviving to carry on their family - small enough to fit into safe spots. God be Blessed. Over twenty eight thousand are now dead and the UN has said it could reach 50,000. Survivors continue to be pulled from the rubble more than 100 hours later and hopefully many more. It is wondrous to see the world pulling together to help. The United Nations founded after such a terrible war has proven to be a God-send ever since. We must ensure the hands of the UN are not tied by any one country. Russia's continuing invasion of a sovereign nation should cause the removal of their veto power in the Security Council. Good behaviour could earn it back but for the moment they are a rogue nation intent on nazi land stealing and murder of the Ukranian people. 

On to the day and breakfast. Yesterday I cleared away quite a bit of ice in the laneway and more snow expected tomorrow. Winter is ever continuing and my research time gained by the quiet of winter is wondrous to me. Prime Minister Trudeau ordered the shooting down of an illegal balloon in our air space - it is a hindrance to aviation. One must ask for permission to fly one over our country - this is the modern age when permission is necessary to protect the peoples under the balloon and flying in the same air space. 

Glory to Ukraine and death to the invaders. 

 

No comments: