Wednesday, June 21, 2023

And back again to the Siderfin Book

 Today poor air quality once again so inside days which is pretty much fine with me I like being indoors working away on my research and breaking it up with lots of exercise to maintain my level of fitness such as it is! At nearly 78 one doesn't expect to be able to run a marathon so to speak - I have never run one; 10 km is far enough for me. 

The Fifth Generation and William Siderfin and who is he? He lives at Minehead which was Robert 5 (Robert 4, Robert 3, William 2, John 1) at the time of the Protestation Return of 1641 and the Somerset Lay Subsidy of 1642. His will probated in 1723 when his stated age was 45 (I am looking at a transcription which does have its problems as original is better but that will was destroyed in the bombing of the Exeter Record Office in 1942) so born circa 1678. Robert 5 was baptized in 1616 at Minehead so a son for him would be in the 1640s  or late 1630s and he could be a father to William born circa 1678. William and his wife Mary (Terrell) Siderfin named their son Robartt. The will abstract attributed to this William Siderfin has the will dated 9 Mar 1716 and proved 17 Dec 1723. He mentions a niece Rachael Clothier and his wife Mary. Executor is Wilmot Siderfin. (Frederick Brown, Reverend: Abstracts of Somerset Wills, Series 3, page 90). 

I am starting to comprehend that William's ancestry may not have a ready solution and I may have to just have him as an individual at the level of the Sixth Generation with no known relationship back to the Fifth Generation. He does not leave any descendants it appears so easily done but does seem a little untidy!

I will make that decision today or tomorrow and then move on to the Thomas-line because I now know that he did not seal his will with three cups at least it isn't in the abstract of the will. Once the Thomas-line has been filled in with anything that I know then I will move on to the Seventh Generation. There are complexities in that generation as well but gradually we will see that the known descendants that one finds in the records all come down from Robert Siderfin and Elizabeth (Question) Siderfin. 

An event helped me to see that I am starting to put a date stamp on my research in some ways. Gradually the feelers that I send out into the available material will diminish and I will continue to concentrate on my goals without regard to the present research that I do now do on a regular basis. I need to continue to downsize so that I am ready for the next step in my life; whatever it may be. I like to avoid confusion if I can and I still have far too much material for a one-room concept if that is my future. Like everyone else the future is clouded for me - one can see various routes but the actual one continues to be unknown. That is satisfactory to me; I do not actually have to know where I will be in six months or what I will be doing. I work in the here and now and that works best for me. 

Summer is when we notice Climate Change mostly in Canada. It becomes warmer each year and the Arctic ice is predicted to be gone in the summer by 2030. That is not so far away now; we need to be ready for an ice free northern passage; more ships and bases in the north for sure. The winters though will likely continue to be very cold and the new ice each year with the resultant icebergs will be a slightly new adventure and one for which we are as a country uniquely familiar. Our military is our lifeblood really as they come to the aid of Canadians in so many ways. They need to be properly supplied. 

On to the day and breakfast. I am late today. Second set of jumping jacks next.

No comments: