Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Another beautiful day in God's world

Having the two eye tests was a very quick happening as I was in at 12:45 for the first test and all finished before 2:00 with the second test. Both tests were quite interesting and this is the preparation for the cataract surgery to come. Other than a loss of my far sight (I used to be able to recognize birds that were more than half way down the yard quite readily but now I have to look hard at the feeder to recognize them well if they are not brightly coloured or some other demonstrative anatomical feature is present which is perhaps 1/4 of the way down the yard (the yard is perhaps 60 metres deep). So I do have some loss of vision but I am nearly 78. My close up vision is still crisp but I use a separate pair of reading glasses and that is helpful but I have done that now for more than 45 years since I used to proofread and edit scientific and technical material at home for private printers (I first was prescribed bifocals in my early 30s). Today I am  noticing some tiredness with my eyes so will not do much eye work today on the computer giving them a chance to rest. 

The Siderfin Book is coming along quite nicely. This latest document does appear to also satisfy my theory about which Robert Siderfin is which but will continue with that transcription in a couple of days. The formatting of the last fourty pages of test out of my Legacy file still remains but will likely take just one or two days and then I can send Thomas (younger brother to my Elizabeth (Betty) Siderfin married to John Rew) off to one of my Siderfin cousins (5th since Elizabeth was my 3x great grandmother and we share their parents in common). That should capture any errors on my part in that line and the other lines for the most part lived in the same area until a generation or two later thus putting them on the census and somewhat easier to locate. I need to link in more of James Sanders text and that will be the task for September and then proofreading and editing through October and publication in November hopefully. I will use the Creative Common License to publish it thus making it available for revision immediately if there is a cousin out there wanting to do that. 

Then I can set my thoughts on the Pencombe/Pincombe/Pinkham book. I am quite excited to be looking at that already as it has only lately coalesced in my mind. Along with that I will be searching out documents that I will need for the Andover Blake family book which will follow the Pencombe etc. book. I rather think both of my parents would be most pleased with the work done thus far especially my mother who had an enormous love for her family - it was her way plus it kept her father alive in her mind I rather think. Losing a parent at eight years of age must be very traumatic I think. I remember my grandfather very well and I was eight when he passed and I missed him terribly. Having pictures was helpful as I could always gaze on his likeness in many different ways but my mother had only a few pictures of her father to remember him by. Her half-aunt Martha had a lot of pictures but my mother was much too shy to have asked her for copies. Those photo albums have all been scanned and I have found a number of pictures that she would have loved including several of my mother with her father when she was seven years of age which she would have loved to have had. But life has changed so much and it is so much easier to share photographs now. 

My younger sister has done a great job on the overall family tree and has always scanned my father's huge trove of images of the family. I think I have every picture of me that he took during my childhood plus all of my siblings. Having six siblings grounds you in a way; there are always people out there that lived in your generation and are part of you. You may not see them for years and years but yet they are a part of you; a part of your soul so that you are never truly alone. My father was an only child and I do remember his seeking those parts of his being that belonged to his past in England (he came to Canada as a child with his parents in 1913). I do not think he meant to have that be so important to him but it was a feature of his being an only child I think. 

Another beautiful day in God's world. No wind in the trees today but just a tiny whisper of movement. God loves his world; I truly believe that and we must try harder to do what is best for the world. We need His approval to survive in this world. We can only reach that plateau by following the new commandments brought to us by Jesus Christ His only Son - love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and love our neighbour as ourself. Then we can attain that peace that our ancestors laid down their lives for in so many generations past but especially in the 20th century. That torch they passed to us must not die out but rather continue to burn fiercely through time as we find true peace in our world and heal Climate Change so that the descendants in the next and many generations to come will have the same wonderful world that we grew up in full of hope for the future. 

On to breakfast; dinner last night was a long time ago. The most vital of human needs - food. No one should ever be permitted to destroy thousands of tons of food that could feed the starving. It is a disgusting act and should not go unpunished. The world must shun Russia until they remove themselves from the sacred Ukrainian soil which the Russians have blemished with their murder of innocent children, women and men.

No comments: