Thursday, August 31, 2023

More than two thirds plus of the way through the 1653 document

Another beautiful day in God's world. A slight breeze in the trees reminds us of His presence and continued interest in this world. We are but one of a million or more species and subspecies all created over time. Our very existence is dependent upon all of those species as they contribute to our survival and we should to their survival. Why ever were millions of bees being transported; they can fly! We must work to make this like the world that existed before the Industrial Revolution so that our impact on the environment becomes carbon neutral. We do not have to live in the Dark Ages or a time of barbarism (like Russia does) but we need to be observant of our effect on the world. Russia wonders how to protect their military establishments from Ukraine. Obviously they just need to get out of Ukraine as established at the end of the Soviet Union by the United Nations. Then they have nothing to fear after all they were the aggressor. Really in the so-called West we want peace; not peace on any terms but peace that means a barbaric country like Russia does not attack its neighbours.

Continued working on the 1653 document for the Siderfin family in answer to a complaint brought against them by the Frank family. I am just beyond 2/3rds of the way through now and it continues to be somewhat confusing. Wilmott is being referred to once again and one is left with the impression that Wilmott has outlived Robert Frank and that they were married but no children it would appear. Very confusing but there seemed to be an agreement between Robert and Willmot that sums of money would offset her dower rights. I did not find a marriage  although did find the burial for Robert Franke at Porlock 21 Jan 1653 (old style) and he was the son of Thomas Franke according to the Somerset Archives Parish Records - Somerset Burial Index. 

I really need to complete my first run through the document but have already achieved my goal from this document which was to whom the defendants were referring as there is this overlap in naming within these two Robert families (children named Robert, John and Willmot) in both families but separated by a generation. This document does show that the Robert 4 (Robert 3, William 2, John 1) family is the family mentioned in the document thus supporting one of my premises that Robert 5 (son of Robert 4) died in 1636 and his father survived along with his mother Ursula and brother John at least until 1653 and beyond for John. This document shows that this family were not clinging to ownership of the property that was owned by Robert Franke at East Lynch and that is also rewarding information as it supports my other premise that the Robert Siderfin at East Lynch (mid 1600s to late 1600s) and William Siderfin at Minehead (mid 1600s to early 1700s) were the sons of Robert 6 (Robert 5, William 4, Robert 3, William 2, John 1). These lands were held by this William 4 Siderfin line and it is merely coincidental that the reference to East Lynch occurs in the Robert 4 (Robert 3, William 2, John 1) line. James Sanders does not mention this item in the book so suspect he did not see it. The Pedigree Chart he produced does end up not assigning the Robert Siderfin lines taking into account these other documents namely the will of Robert 6 (Robert 5, William 4, Robert 3, William 2, John 1) in 1688 and the answer to the Frank complaint in 1653 by Robert 4 (Robert 3, William 2, John 1). The item continues to fascinate as I understand the language in it and the rather broken history line that runs through it since everyone knew in 1653 what was being discussed; in 2023 I have no idea of the missing parts (some is difficult to read) and inuendos implied in some of the language. So on to the end of the document and a reworking of it on a second read. There are perhaps 20 lines left to transcribe now. No burial found for Ursula Frank or Ursula Siderfin on Find My Past; must look around just in case.

Up early today and it is over a week since I had my eye tests at the  hospital. No word yet from the Eye Institute physician's office on surgery. No ideas on why the tests were run at this particular time. The secretary there tried to convince me to have the more advanced lens when I called back later in the day after my appointment in June but I wanted the doctor to know that I preferred the OHIP option as I preferred to wear my glasses (keeps the bugs out of my eyes). I was a little surprised to have the secretary get so involved in telling me about a family success with the more advanced lens since I had already stated my reason for wanting the OHIP option and it would save the doctor time as she was going to do calculations for that advanced lens and the simple lens do not require these extensive calculations. I am a patient soul though and busy with my book. Having worked in doctor's offices it does take time to set up the surgery roster plus I understand that there is a waiting list. Since I really do not mind waiting until on in December or next mid-May it is not a problem for me. I am curious about the surgery and quite ready to have this done. I have seen  a number of these surgeries in my own personal family. I am out of touch with the hospital system now since it is twenty years since I worked in the hospital; very lucky on my part that I have had no hospitalizations since my early 30s other than one childbirth (checked out on day 3); nor was I ever in a hospital before my first delivery although did work in the hospital laboratory before her birth. We had always thought to have three children but my second child at 36 years of age and 30 hours of continuous labour (the first eight years earlier was three days with 36 hours continuous labour before delivery) I was not sorry that we decided to stop at two.  I do think that long labours can not possibly be good for the baby or the mother in my humble opinion. I did walk and walk with my second one at home but the labour just continued on and on. I do think that concentrating births in the Civic and General was a good move since I arrived at the Riverside after 8:00 pm. and felt like they had closed up shop for the day to be honest. I did say to my husband I would rather go to the Civic or General after being there about 30 minutes. Plus taking my history they concentrated on my mental/nervous/physical breakdown as I recall and did not listen to me saying that I was three days in labour the first time, 36 hours continuous. I was already pretty exhausted at 8:00 pm and she was not born until 5:14 a.m according to the birth certificate; my memory of much past 11:00 pm is pretty much non existent except for her cry before I was lost to time once again.. I did think that eliminating delivery at the Riverside  was an excellent idea. Later in my life, I was working in Perinatology at the General at the time that The Ottawa Hospital was created and was the volunteer secretary (my employer was the head of Perinatology) for that committee which met in the evening. Doctors are very busy people and all of this work of merging the hospitals was done in their spare time so I having an interest in this merging also said that I would do it as a volunteer (although my boss said I should claim the time but I did not do so; this was my bit for women in labour so that they would have the best deliveries that could be provided!). I still look back on that time period as one of my best volunteer moments along with my volunteerism at my daughter's schools and my volunteer secretary role at the Anglican Church in Orleans when we first moved here. All the other volunteer roles were pretty much my husband volunteering me!

I do like working on my books though and already Pencombe is percolating through my brain. I am a touch typist still able to type very quickly so the text just flows from my fingers (my children used to be amazed that I type without looking at the keys; my oldest once wanted to blindfold me to see if I could still do that and of course I can). I always laugh when people say I should write my own life story as I prefer my one-name studies. Writing my own story is not in the books that I am considering after all I am busy extracting information from old documents and transcribing quite lengthy ones for use in my books; a much more valuable addition to the information world as I have a knack at doing transcription of old documents. 

Today I am going to take apart a large closet and re-organize it. I need to have lots of interesting tasks to keep me from working continuously on my transcription. It gives my eyes a good rest. On to the day, first jumping jacks and then breakfast.



No comments: