Thursday, August 24, 2023

Eyes stronger today

In terms of my eye care I am realizing that had the optometrist referred me at the same time as my husband was referred when he had said that we both needed the referral, but he referred him first with me to follow right after, it would now be over two and a half years since I would have been referred. But I did not get back to the Optometrist until this past January. Life was complicated for a bit. Interesting really but then I have no idea when I will actually have the surgery as I do not think that doing the measurements has any effect on the actual date of the surgery unless the case becomes more urgent because of the measurements. Time will tell. But I have opted for the lens that is covered by OHIP rather than the more refined lens that might apparently correct for my astigmatism. I like wearing glasses and do not like things in my eyes having worn glasses since I was one year of age so opted for the lens that means I still wear corrective lenses. The wearing of glasses though doesn't really extend to sun glasses as I dislike them but have worn them for a very long time now as recommended. I think I have been wearing them for nearly 30 years on recommendation when ever I am outside but I am not really an outside person fortunately. I am especially not a beach person being one of those people lying on the beach completely covered by a towel which always amused my children. So time will tell; When I thought there was just a three month or so waiting list I did suggest December as I would have help them but it could also be next May when I again have help plus I would have the half year to start work on the Pincombe family. My life is somewhat complicated because my caretaker isn't always able to give up time for my care due to work commitments. 

I bought natural tears as suggested and will soon start practising to give myself eye drops. I have given them to my husband as he had dry eyes but have never given eye drops to myself. I will  need to be able to do that as one must do drops for about a month after surgery. I am not feeling rushed as I can still see quite well enough to drive but tend to stick to just the grocery store. Any long trips (i.e. more than a couple of blocks where the area is well known to me) I call a taxi. 

There is a little wind in the trees today and it is a bright sunny fifteen degrees celsius at 8:00 am this morning. I woke early and had my breakfast and then had a two hour sleep on the couch watching the weather. It was most pleasant. Yesterday I managed nearly 22,000 steps but that does not always guarantee a long sleep. But I feel somewhat rested now. 

Today I shall work on the brickwork out front clearing away the weeds once again so that we can put the hardening sand between the bricks. The work load continues to be large in the yard and I do so love winter with its snow removal service which means that I have almost no work outside. Lots of research time and writing time as I have reached that time in my research. 

I have almost finished the formatting of the Siderfin family tree and hope to send off Thomas and his descendants to a fifth cousin to have a look and see if she agrees with my research. I will mention in the book that she has assisted with his line. He disappeared over time and because my own line moved from Selworthy/Minehead in the 1830s to Bishops Nympton and area they perhaps lost track of Thomas and indeed by the time they emigrated to Canada in 1850/51 I can find no mention of the Siderfin family in my mother's notes or any other paperwork that came my way. She was my 3x great grandmother and managed to completely disappear. Interesting really and finding her was a seredipitous event - my first actually in pursuit of my ancestors. Given my mind I of course had to understand the word serendipity and this noun was created in the middle of the 18th century by Horace Walpole who took it from the Persian fairy tale The Princes of Serendip. The meaning of serendipitist is "one who finds valuable or agreeable things not sought for." All this from a dictionary Merriam-Webster which is online. Although I was actually looking for the maiden surname of John Rew's wife the path to it was somewhat convoluted in that at the time I was trying to locate her daughter Elizabeth (Rew) Pincombe missing from the Gatworth, Molland census along with her eldest son John with the 1841 census containing only her husband John Pincombe, his son William Robert Pincombe (my great grandfather) and youngest child Elizabeth Ann. The path taken resulted from the unlikely finding of the will of John Rew where he asked to be buried beside his wife in Selworthy Churchyard but this will was probated at South Molton and he living at Sheepwash but all the interesting people were missing from the 1841 Devon census. The will of John Pincombe was amongst the first ones that I purchased from the National Archives of the UK way back in 2004. In that the path led to the Siderfin family so truly was serendipity because I was actually looking for Elizabeth (Rew) Pincombe but the path led me to a "valuable or agreeable thing not actually being sought for at the time" but certainly in the back of my mind was the desire to find Elizabeth's maiden name. Rew is actually a much more frequently occurring name than Pincombe so had been a difficult search at the time. 

The wind in the trees reminds me that God is with us on this beautiful sunny day. We can not know His intentions or directions but do know what He has commanded us to do in our lives. His commandments could lead to such a wonderful peace if all peoples would but follow them - Love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and love our neighbour as ourself. Perhaps today will be the day that mankind reaches its pinnacle of greatness and is able to move forward in life to that peaceful plain that is sought by most of us. 

Breakfast long ago now and forward to the day. I shall work on the laneway for a bit.

No comments: